Golden milk’s the name given to the newest, trendsetting turmeric-based latte. This latte developed its unique name because of turmeric’s beautiful orange-yellow hue.

Just recently, turmeric has made its big break into modern day cooking and gained popularity beyond Indian cuisine. This spice has long been praised as both a culinary and medicinal ingredient. Tumeric’s available both fresh and dried as a powder, and can be enjoyed in drinks, entrees and elixirs.

spice

Photo by Aarti Vyas

Turmeric has a slight earthy and peppery flavour that enriches both food and drink. Due to its long list of benefits, this spice shines as the multifaceted face of health in the food and drink industry.

The main source of turmeric’s beneficial properties are from its active ingredient: curcumin. Curcumin helps the body function optimally in a variety of ways.

In the popular lifestyle blog, Goop, by celebrity Gwyneth Paltrow, turmeric was noted as the key anti-inflammatory ingredient to help achieve radiant skin. This property also helps individuals with arthritis and joint problems.

spice

Photo by Aart Vyas

Additionally, turmeric is known for its immunity boosting and antioxidant properties, as well as for preventing Alzheimer’s and cancer. The spice is also an antiseptic that can kill internal yeast and parasites. Talk about benefits galore.

These benefits are only a few of the many health promoting abilities turmeric has to offer. Basically, this spice screams superfood.

When used in a latte, turmeric blends together with other spices, milk and a sweetener to create a nutrient and flavour-packed concoction that’s definitely worth a taste.

spice

Photo by Aarti Vyas

So in the wise words of the Spice Girls, “spice up your life” and follow this classic golden milk recipe so that you too can reap the benefits of turmeric.

Aside from the wonderful benefits of consuming this drink, be prepared to have your taste buds mesmerized. Turmeric lattes are a definite palate pleaser. Drink up, fellow foodies. Turmeric, I love you a latte.