Foodies and Facebook friends alike have taken part in the latest craze taking over social media. As users scroll through their newsfeed, they come across simple yet savory, nominal ingredient recipe videos speedily created before their very eyes in less than a minute.

From oreo pull-apart bread to three-ingredient hummus queso, there are thousands of videos avid social media users come across every day, tagging friends in the comments before proceeding to scroll through other newsfeed highlights.

However, this trend is a growing concern to those whom appreciate the quality of a hard-copy, heavy, grease-stained cookbook.

Personally, I can remember the excitement and curiosity I felt at a young age when I saw my mother pull out her favorite cookbook while making dinner. Especially since I couldn’t read yet, I knew something delicious was in store for me in a few hours as she shuffled through the pages.

cookbook

Photo by Kalee Gottsacker

From the mere sight of the jockey jersey’s on the cover of Bluegrass Winner’s Cookbook, this curiosity often got the best of me as I struggled to shove a chair twice my size to the countertop next to my mother to see what southern, buttery concoction she was creating for family dinner.

Our family staples originated from this cook book. From mashed potatoes that always seemed to have extra fluff, to the delectable green beans with brown sugar as a secret ingredient, to Derby pie on special occasions, this cookbook provided many memories of my childhood in addition to the incredible meals. There are even stains of grease, butter, and chocolate throughout the pages to prove it.

A similar feeling of excitement comes upon the purchase of a new cookbook. There is a familiar feeling of both adventure and motivation upon holding the new cookbook in your hands, flipping through the pages of new recipes and creations right at your fingertips.

Upon choosing which recipe you want to make first, there is both anticipation and surprise – there are often no step-by-step photos that allow the chef to know what their recipe is supposed to look like. This gives room for the chef to add in their own creativity as well by adding in pinches of spices that the recipe may not even call for.

cookbook

Photo by Colleen Daly

And when all is said and done, there is no disappointment or concern about the presentation of the recipe. Because the chef had no prior knowledge of what the final product was supposed to look like, not only are they not frustrated, but they are pleasantly surprised as they had no idea what to expect. Ignorance is truly bliss, my friends.

While culinary social media videos are entertaining and fun to watch, they can take away from the meaningful values and emotions that cooking a meal from a cookbook can create. With cookbooks, the chef is both challenged and excited with anticipation of the finished product.

Next time you find yourself engulfed in recipe videos, instead challenge yourself to go to your nearest bookstore, purchase a hardback cookbook, and take the time to start creating life long memories of your own by cooking a meal for your family and friends.