When I visited Helsinki, Finland, I was at breakfast at the hotel and scooped what I thought was Greek yogurt into my bowl. But when I ate it, it tasted somewhat different: the consistency was that of Greek yogurt, but the flavor was very creamy and smooth and lacking that tart taste. I was eating quark.

Quark is made by souring milk, allowing the casein to separate, and then it is strained, resulting in a creamy yogurt cheese. Here’s a nutritional comparison between Valio’s Vanilla Quark to Dannon Oikos Vanilla Greek Nonfat Yogurt, and why you should consider trying it.

It has a much higher protein content

quark

Photo by Lara Taniguchi

In one serving size of 150 g, quark contains almost 14 grams of protein while the Greek yogurt has only 12 grams. Milk protein especially provides high quality and better absorbing protein for our bodies.

It is lower in calories compared to Greek yogurt

quark

Photo courtesy of @dani1929 on Instagram

Valio’s quark has only 84 calories while Dannon Oikos has almost 50 percent more calories. It provides more satiety and satisfaction without the excess calories and fat.

It is relatively low in saturated fat

quark

Photo courtesy of @milamii on Instagram

Relatively low in fat and saturated fat, it allows people to get the fat they need in their diets for energy and essential fatty acids without consuming too little or too much.

It is low in sodium

quark

Photo courtesy of @dragomee on Instagram

Quark is also low in sodium content at just 150 mg per serving. It is a great substitute for cheeses like cottage cheese or ricotta, which tend to have much higher sodium levels. One serving of cottage cheese has 400 mg of sodium.

It is high in calcium

quark

Photo by Lara Taniguchi

One serving of quark contains 27 percent of the daily recommended allowance of calcium. This is a great source of calcium which is needed for bone growth and maintenance.

With all these great benefits, quark is sure to be the next big thing and you should definitely try it. What’s more, it is very versatile: you can eat it as is, mix in desserts, or with savory dishes. The possibilities are endless. How are you going to eat it?