My mother always taught me to eat in season. The produce is cheaper, usually better and there’s a greater chance it’s grown locally. But since FroGro usually stocks a lot of the same stuff, it can be confusing to tell what is in season. We’re here to give you a guide to spring produce, and some of our favorite ways to prepare it.

Fruits
Strawberries: Chop them up with some lemon, mint, and a little sugar to make a bangin’ strawberry salad. Or, make strawberry rhubarb jam to add a twist to breakfast.
Rhubarb: This fruit is too tart and tough to be eaten raw, so cook it into the aforementioned jam, or make it into a compote.

What's in Season Now

Photo by Alex Weiner

Mango: Chop up into a salsa with avocado to top fish tacos, or blend into a smoothie. Confused on how to cut one up? We have you covered.
Cherries: Cherry pie is always a classic, but if you want to get a little creative, make a French cherry clafoutis.

What's in Season Now

Photo by Molly Krohe

AvocadosGuacamole, duh. Also, add to pretty much any food to make it instantly better.

What's in Season Now

Photo by Kendra Vaculin

Pineapple: If you’re having a BBQ this spring, grilled pineapple is the shit. Alternatively, add it to a pressed ham and cheese. Or for more ideas, check out some inspiration here.

Vegetables
Artichokes: Boil ’em whole and eat the leaves one at a time and then the heart with aioli or vinaigrette, or just use the hearts and add them to a salad.
Arugula: Add to pastas, pizzas, salads, etc.

What's in Season Now

Photo by Maggie Gorman

AsparagusRoast them with parmesan and olive oil, or shave them and use them to top a white pizza or eat them with lentils and a fried egg.

What's in Season Now

Photo by Amanda Shulman

Peas: Add to risottos or blend into a soup.
Scallions: Obviously scallion pancakes. Also great as a garnish to most savory dishes.
Leeks: Make into potato-leek soup, or add to a quiche.

What's in Season Now

Photo by Margaret Weinberg

Beets: Use raw or roasted in salads, or use them in chocolate cakes (really). Not sure what beets are all about? Check out this handy guide.

What's in Season Now

Photo by Neelima Agrawa

Spinach: Use as the base for a salad with strawberries and walnuts, or sautée them with garlic and olive oil.

There you have it friends. Enjoy spring.