Ever heard the expression food is fuel? Well, this old saying definitely has merit. Specific foods contain various vitamins and chemicals that aid brain function. So if you eat food and need help turning that B+ into an A, keep reading for some tips and tricks on what to eat to improve your skills in specific subjects.

Math: Chocolate

subject

Photo by Sean Koetting

Chocolate is the solution to your problems. Literally.

Dark chocolate is packed with antioxidants called flavonoids. These flavonoids improve blood flow in the brain by up to 30%. This boost increases problem solving skills, reaction time, and attention span. Perfect for those long problem sets, am I right?

Dark chocolate is also packed with magnesium. This essential mineral reduces stress by suppressing the release of the stress hormone cortisol. Next time you find yourself panicking because you can’t understand a word coming out of your German professor’s mouth, eat a Hershey’s bar. Your snobby neighbor may judge you for munching on sweets at 9 am, but when you receive an A on that upcoming exam you’ll have only Milton S. Hershey to thank.

Science: Cereal

Gif courtesy of gify.com

In what world is memorizing the periodic table beneficial? Unless the Internet ceases to exist, I’m pretty sure Google Images has your back. Unfortunately, science teachers have some crazy notion that memorizing the periodic table is essential. To appease your professor, and your parents, eat cereal.

Whole grain cereal enhances the body’s ability to produce acetylcholine, a neurotransmitter that improves short term memory. You can store those chemicals in your brain, forget about them after your exam, and have a hearty breakfast. It’s a win-win for everyone.

English: Sushi

subject

Photo by Armin Nayak

Fish, containing omega-3 fatty acids (DHA), are key for good brain health, as fatty acids reduce mental fatigue and improve concentration. So next time your professor decides to ruin your weekend by assigning 6 chapters of the Odyssey, treat yourself to some salmon rolls or maybe some nice tuna tartar — your belly and brain will thank you.

History: Blueberries

subject

Photo by Meredith Ross

Blueberries, rich in antioxidants, have been proven to significantly improve the brain’s ability to retain information. Knowing the birthdate of William Henry Harrison may seem like useless information, nonetheless you know that it will be an extra credit question on your upcoming quiz.

Instead of making stacks on stacks of flashcards, simply munch on berries while looking over your notes. It will be just as effective.

Don’t love raw blueberries? Try out these blueberry-infused recipes instead.

Computer Science: Nuts

subject

Photo by Natalie Beam

Nuts, especially walnuts, are rich in vitamin E and have been proven to boost inferential reasoning skills. Computer science, which requires a great deal of critical thinking, can be made slightly more bearable with a cup of walnuts before class. If you need something a little sweeter to make it through one of those endless lectures, try bringing a chocolate chip walnut cookie. Mmmm.

Done With Finals: Strawberries

subject

Photo by Liana Lis

You’re done with finals and you feel on top of the world. You are ready to go out and forget just about everything you spent the last week cramming into your brain. Fortunately, I have a solution for you, or should I say fro-you.

Go treat yourself to some froyo topped with strawberries. Strawberries contain polyphenolics, a chemical which has been found to cleanse the brain by eliminating toxins. Pile the toppings on high, because you’ve earned it.