We’ve all had that moment as children when we thought combining two foods would make our lives a whole lot easier. The chances of it being a success were always about 50/50, like that time when we couldn’t find milk for our cereal or when mom or dad wasn’t around to fix us a snack. Well, that’s when we became master chefs (or at least tried our best).

After speaking with classmates, friends, and complete strangers on campus about some of the weird recipes they’ve made as kids, I knew I had to share some of these crazy combinations with you. To spare these participants some embarrassment, I kept their names out of this article, but some of these images will never leave your mind.

1. Watermelon Sandwich

weirdest

Photo courtesy of Caleb Shipman on flickr.com

“There was nothing in house but watermelon, peanut butter, and wheat bread.”

2. Sour Cream and Onions

weirdest

Photo by Sarah Stettin

“I thought that sour cream and onion chips were legit made out of sour cream and onions, so I went to the supermarket to buy some sour cream and some onions. Turns out they tasted nothing like it.”

3. Chocolatey Jenny Craig

weirdest

Photo by Kevin Kozlik

“I was between commercials and I didn’t have time to make chocolate milk. So, I heated up my mom’s Jenny Craig chicken sandwich and put some Nesquik powder on top of the chicken.”

4. Ice Cream Soup

weirdest

Photo by Leigh Needham

“It was in the summer one day that I left ice cream out on the table and when I came back, it was melted. I drank it and realized it was awesome.”

5. Cake and Chicken

weirdest

Photo by Eunice Choi

“It’s like I told you, I didn’t like the cake my aunt’s friend made. It was missing something. So I added some teriyaki chicken to that purple frosting covered monstrosity.”

6. Green Grapes and White Bread

weirdest

Photo by Naib Mian

“There was nothing in the house. Don’t judge me.”

7. Hot Lard with Rice

weirdest

Photo by Irene Kim

“Unhealthy, but delicious. Especially with soy sauce.”

8. Vienna Sausages with Pineapple

weirdest

Photo by Caroline Liu

“Good party food, you should try it some time.”

9. Yams and Marshmallows

weirdest

Photo by Amanda Gajdosik

“This may have been Thanksgiving food but I demanded it anytime that I could because it was so sweet.”

10. Sugar with Rice

weirdest

Photo by Christine Chang

“That was my weird version of comfort food as a kid.”

11. Butter and Sugar

weirdest

Photo by Caty Schnack

“I was hungry and desperate times called for desperate measures.”

12. Octopus and Yellow Rice

weirdest

Photo courtesy of Larry Hoffman on Wikimedia

“It appealed to both my love of seafood and my mom’s need to feed me rice.”

13. Cheeseburger with Nuggets

weirdest

Photo courtesy of @MikeV on flickr.com

“I was feeling creative and my mother wasn’t around to stop me, so I combined the two and formed a cheeseburger with nuggets on the inside. All that grease…yum.”

14. Tuna Fish with Cold White Rice

weirdest

Photo By Kimberlee Bochek

“It was a snack I made myself for a rainy day.”

15. Bits of Peanut Butter with Chocolate Chips

weirdest

Photo by Maggie Gorman

“I double dipped my spoon in both the jar and the bag of chips.”

16. Paper

weirdest

Photo by Tess Wei

“My friend told me that it tasted good. I said ‘no way’ and tried some…but it was only once or twice.”

17. Rice Covered with Barbecue Sauce

weirdest

Photo by Kathleen Lee

“Sometimes my mom would make rice with nothing else whatsoever. I would use barbecue sauce to cover my whole plate just so I could taste something.”

18. Homemade Dough

weirdest

Photo by Jasmine Tang

“I don’t know. It was just…on the table.”

19. Cheerios With Orange Juice Instead of Milk

weirdest

Photo by Jocelyn Hsu

“The Simpsons did it, so I did it.”

20. Hard Taco Shell with Ice Cream

weirdest

Photo courtesy of Creative Tools on flickr.com

“To be honest, I don’t remember what it tasted like but I do know that I was trying to imitate this ice cream I used to eat.”

21. Ritz Crackers with Lime Juice as Dip

weirdest

Photo by Ana Cvetkovic

“I was thinking along the lines of key lime pie, so I substituted pie with Ritz crackers because that’s close enough to graham crust. The lime juice I used to make it more realistic, but sadly it tasted funny and made me cough a lot.”