Being a huge burger enthusiast, I actually got excited when I saw that Burger King was coming out with a new menu addition – the Angriest Whopper. While this trend of coloring bread may be getting out of hand (looking at you, Rainbow Bagel), I had genuine hopes for the Angriest Whopper. Could this be redemption after the horrid Halloween burger?

I went to BK intending to eat the Whopper for breakfast. I wasn’t sure if I was just nervous or excited, but there was no way I could eat anything prior to. I ordered and watched as a Burger King employee prepared my food, squeezing generous amounts of “spicy angry” sauce and putting crispy fried onions on a vibrant bun.

Angriest Whopper

Photo by Jedd Marrero

At a nearby park, I quickly unwrapped the paper and took a bite. My first impression was that it tasted like a regular Whopper with some after-heat, with the special sauce being similar to honey barbecue. With each bite, the spice level increased, but nothing beyond that of a regular buffalo wing. The star of it all was definitely the crispy fried onions, which contributed to a nice crunch to counteract the mushy burger.

I ate part of the bun by itself, and surprisingly, it tasted a bit sweet. So much for the hot sauce baked into the bun. I tried my best to savor it all, but at that point people started gawking at my food. Some bystanders even asked me what I was eating.

Ten minutes after finishing the burger, a faint flame erupted in my stomach. It felt clogged, like my food was just sitting there and slowly combusting. I took this as an internal cry for help and chewed four Tums right when I got home.

Angriest Whopper

Photo by Jedd Marrero

Ultimately, the Angriest Whopper is just a regular burger with a red bun and pretentious advertising. It didn’t taste too bad when I was eating it, but now I don’t think I’ll be back inside a BK for a while. Sorry, chicken fries. The heartburn was too much to handle.