Each year, millions of food items get wasted in our society, both as a result of time and our careless culture.  Here are the names at the top of the list:

waste

Photo by Peter Yu

1. Milk: The cautionary tale of the impending expiration date: milk spoils (along with our happiness) when we realize we can no longer eat cereal that morning. This tragic occurrence plagues common households across the country in fridges everywhere. So many cartons of milk, along with dairy by-products such as cheese, are wasted annually simply because they are not consumed before the blood-curdling scream is heard upon smelling curdled milk.

waste

Photo by Peter Yu

2. Potatoes: With potatoes come French fries and with French fries come the sad, noodle-y and hastily overlooked leftovers at the bottom of the fast food bag. When you crumble up your bag to make the three-point in the garbage can next time, just remember the poor baglers that are going to waste.

3. Soft Drinks:  From the strategic game of dodging potholes on the road in your car to the classic accidental elbow at the movie theater, the possibilities of spilling your drink are endless. Not only that, but when the fizz begins to wane and only a few bubbles of carbonation linger as a vestige of the former flavor, many people throw out their still-full sodas when they merely taste too flat.

4. Apples: The apple doesn’t fall far from the tree; but it does fall, along with many others, to rot on the ground.

waste

Photo by Peter Yu

5. Bread: The curious case of the complimentary bread. Your insatiable hunger is urging you to take a piece (or two) set on the table at the restaurant in a tempting manner, yet your mom is telling you to wait for your meal. This inevitability leads to a surplus of bread still blanketed in the basket, wafting scents of garlic or cheese at the end of the meal when everyone is too full to consider the carbs left abandoned on the table. This bread often gets thrown out only to waste away its days being picked out of the trash cans by squirrels.

More Post You’ll Love: