Oatmeal is arguably the greatest breakfast food of all time. It’s easy to make, boasts tons of health benefits, and is totally customizable. The savory oatmeal trend has consistently proven that almost any flavor combination works wonders in a good old bowl of oats.

Myoatmeal.com has combined the convenience of microwaveable oats with the ability to customize mix-ins and toppings. Don’t get me wrong, I love me some freshly prepared carrot cake oatmealbut ain’t nobody got time for that.

Oatmeal

Myoatmeal.com allows you to make your own mix of flavored oats, and they will deliver right to your door. They have almost 50 different flavorings and well over 50 fruits, proteins, sweeteners, spices, and powder add-ins. If you’re keeping track, that’s over 22 billion possible oatmeal combinations.

When I saw an offer for sample bags of their six most popular pre-blended flavors, I snatched that deal right up. I’ve ranked them here to help you decide which flavor combo should be first on your must-try list. It’s a tough job, but someone’s gotta do it.

6. Cherry Amaretto

Oatmeal

Photo by Elena Bailoni

I really don’t like cherries, and after tasting this flavor I don’t think I like amaretto either (it’s a sweet almond-flavored liqueur, if you decide to look it up like I did). The combination of the sour and tart ingredients just didn’t do it for me, but the cherry flavor wasn’t too sugary or overwhelming like I’ve come to expect from microwavable oatmeal packets. If cherries are your thing, I’d say go for it.

5. Salted Caramel Apple Pie

Oatmeal

Photo by Elena Bailoni

I was very impressed by the apple pieces in this flavor. They come dry in the mix, but after the cooking process rehydrates them they actually feel like fresh pieces of apple. This oatmeal takes on the warm, gooey flavors of apple pie, and it definitely brings back autumn nostalgia for apple orchards and cider. Unfortunately, I didn’t taste any salted caramel in this mix, which I was really looking forward to. Bummer.

4. Peaches and Cream

Oatmeal

Photo by Elena Bailoni

This was one of my favorite instant oatmeal packets as a kid, so I was super excited to try this flavor. The creamy feeling in my mouth really made me believe there was some powdered milk in this one (which is what makes instant oatmeal not taste like cardboard). However, I was shocked to find out that this flavor is vegan. The creaminess balances out the burst of sweetness from the dried fruit. I only wished there was more fruit in this mix, since you only get the peach flavor when you bite into the fruit pieces, and those were few and far between.

3. Maple and Brown Sugar

Oatmeal

Photo by Elena Bailoni

I was nervous this one would be shockingly sweet, but I was pleasantly surprised that the richness of the maple and brown sugar flavors were able to shine through. There were some raisins in there, which was great for me, though I know raisins aren’t really considered the coolest fruit on the block. This flavor creates a good base to top with your favorite nut butter for some morning protein.

2. S’mores

Oatmeal

Photo by Elena Bailoni

Chocolate and marshmallow bits mixed together in one bag of heaven? Yeah, I didn’t have to try this one to know I would love it. My microwave smelled like a campfire while this flavor was cooking up. The chocolate pieces melted to ensure every bite included some gooey-chocolatey goodness. I was impressed that the sweetness of this flavor was not too intense, even though it included mini marshmallows. I’d definitely recommend this as an almost perfect breakfast.

1. PB Banana Bread

Oatmeal

Photo by Elena Bailoni

If I closed my eyes while munching on this, I could swear I was biting into a warm piece of actual banana bread. Plus, the oats and flavors are naturally gluten free, so for people who are forced to live their lives without freshly baked banana breadthis flavor would make the perfect substitute. The real banana flavor alone made me love this, but the pieces of peanut added a much needed crunchy texture to an otherwise uniformly mushy bowl of oatmeal. PB banana bread oatmeal, you have won my heart. Needless to say, I found this flavor very appeeling (it’s punny, right?).

The Verdict

Oatmeal

gif courtesy of 2.bp.blogspot.com

Every bowl of oatmeal had myoatmeal.com’s unique blend of oats. They cook up much fluffier than any kind of quick cooking or instant oat I’ve ever had. That alone made me love every bowl, even if I didn’t love the flavors. Each combination was perfectly balanced in both intensity and sweetness, but never failed to taste genuine and natural. I was never overwhelmed with sugar or flavoring, as sometimes happens with instant oatmeal pouches.

This oatmeal is too oatstanding to miss out on (okay, enough with the puns). The dessert flavors reign supreme in my book, and I will definitely be mixing up my own custom flavor soon.