By now, you may have noticed a new kind of water appearing on the shelves of Whole Foods and Trader Joe’s next to your favorite (or not-so-favorite) coconut water. That new trendy boxed water is maple water.

What is maple water? It is the pure maple sap collected from — you guessed it — maple trees.

How does this new trending water stack up against its competitor, coconut water? Below we’ve rated each drink based on various categories with their pros and cons.

Health Claims:

maple water

Photo by Gabby Phi

Maple Water: A low-calorie drink that is very hydrating and includes various and plentiful vitamins, nutrients, and polyphenols, some of which promote thyroid and bone health.

Coconut Water: Has been seen as a great post-workout drink due to its hydrating and electrolyte-ridden nature. Coconut water is also known to have many nutrients and as a great alternative to more “synthetic” workout recovery beverages.

Taste:

maple water

Photo courtesy of pagetandcoles.com

Maple Water: Surprisingly sweet and refreshing and gets a 10/10 for taste in my opinion

Coconut Water: A flavor that many people don’t like at first sip. Definitely coconut-y in flavor as well as a little less sweet and maybe a slightly salty taste if you go unflavored and unsweetened

Nutrition:

maple water

Graphic by Lizzie Snyder

Trendiness/Style points:

maple water

GIF courtesy of realitytvgifs.tumblr.com

Maple Water: New kid on the block cool status—not everyone knows about it yet and the bottles are sleek and modern looking boxed waters

Coconut Water: Most of the coconut water boxes are not as sleek as the Maple Water new designs, but you give off that tropical or Cali cool vibe when you carry a box around

Cost:

maple water

GIF courtesy of tumblr.com.

Maple Water: Approximately $4 and up.

Coconut Water: Approximately $3 and up.

Brands:

maple water

Photo courtesy of Steve Remich on The Wall Street Journal

Maple Water: DRINKmaple, Vertical, Happy Tree, Sealand Birk, Trader Joe’s brand

Coconut Water: Zico, Vita Coco, O.N.E., Harmless Harvest, Coco Libre

Opinion—How do they stack up?:

maple water

Photo courtesy of greensofthestoneage.com

Maple Water: Wins in my book 100%. Through the combination of lower calories, less sugar, more nutrients and overall taste – Maple Water is #1

Coconut Water: Will always have a place in my heart (and diet)

Don’t get us started on aloe water or cactus flower water or whatever else can produce ~trendy~ water…