Many fans regard Anthony Bourdain (author of Kitchen Confidential, Medium Raw and other books) as not only a talented chef, culinary genius, great author, and world traveler, but also a sort of wise uncle: the kind who speaks strictly in metaphors and euphemisms. Bourdain plays by his own rules and writes his own book – literally.

Bourdain

Photo courtesy of @anthonybourdain on Instagram

Many of Bourdain’s most remarkable words of advice circulate around drinking, eating, and travel. Bourdain artistically intertwines dining and travel in a web that makes perfect sense. We invite you to explore the inner workings of Bourdain’s satirical mind through a few of his most memorable quotes that show how he is everything you ever wanted from a “cool” uncle.

On Food as a Pastime

Bourdain

“Food is everything we are. It’s an extension of nationalist feeling, ethnic feeling, your personal history, your province, your region, your tribe, your grandma. It’s inseparable from those from the get-go.”

On the Importance of Cooking Skills

Bourdain

Basic cooking skills are a virtue…the ability to feed yourself and a few others with proficiency should be taught to every young man and woman as a fundamental skill. [It’s] as vital to growing up as learning to wipe one’s own ass, cross the street by oneself, or be trusted with money.”

On Table Manners

Bourdain

Don’t dunk your nigiri in the soy sauce. Don’t mix your wasabi in the soy sauce. If the rice is good, complement your sushi chef on the rice.”

On How to Handle Your Alcohol

Bourdain

Photo courtesy of @thirstysarah on Instagram

“There is something wonderful about drinking in the afternoon. A not-too-cold pint, absolutely alone at the bar – even in this fake-ass Irish pub.”

On Seeing the World

Bourdain

“If you’re 22, physically fit, hungry to learn and be better, I urge you to travel – as far and as widely as possible. Sleep on the floors if you have to. Find out how other people live and eat and cook. Learn from them – wherever you go.”

On Life’s Biggest Pleasures

Bourdain

“To me, life without veal stock, pork fat, sausage, organ meat, demi-glaze or even cheese is a life not worth living.”

#SpoonTip: We highly suggest you pop open a copy of Bourdain’s book ‘Kitchen Confidential’ for even more wise words of wisdom plus a summer read you won’t be able to put down.