Friends, waterskiing on the lake, campfires, color war, fresh air, and camp food: the best way to spend each summer at overnight camp in Maine. Camp food is not just bug juice and hot dogs anymore. The camp that I went to serves up yummy food full of tradition. 

Chicken

coleslaw, chicken, cabbage, pork, slaw, cole slaw
Vicky Nguyen

More varieties that you could ever imagine. There is never a shortage of creativity in the myriad of chicken possibilities. Whether the chicken "explodes", is from Hawaii, is in a pot pie, or is served as tenders, chicken is a camp favorite. 

Grilled Cheese

bread, toast, sweet, grilled cheese sandwich, pastry, cake, honey, butter
Christin Urso

Grilled cheese is a crowd pleaser and definitely will brighten any rainy day. We love to dip it in tomato soup. A top 10 in camp meals for sure. 

Meatball Subs

meatball, sausage, sauce, beef, meat, pork
Morgan Goldberg

There's nothing better than this saucy messy meal that will get all over your last white clean shirt, but then again, who cares because it's delicious. 

Pizza

pizza, pepperoni, sauce, cheese, tomato, crust, mozzarella, dough, salami, meat
Mason McNicol

"Pizza pizza pizza every Friday night." Not only is there a song for this meal, but there is also a record for how many slices can be eaten in one sitting. The current record is 16. Beating the record would make you a famed camper. 

Shells

pasta
Brett Finkelstein

If there are rumors going around that shells are for lunch, everyone at camp starts going crazy. These buttery shells are served with chicken parmesan and sure to make you smile. 

Tacos

tacos, cheese, cheddar, chili
Kate Kidd

Taco Tuesday! Need I say more? Bueno!

C.O.R.N. 

spuds, carbohydrate, tuber, potato, pasture, vegetable
Caroline Ingalls

Nope, not what it sounds like. C.O.R.N. is not corn on the cob, but rather an acronym standing for Clean Out Refrigerator Night. Now, clearly that doesn't sound appetizing, but C.O.R.N. night features a baked potato bar stocked with toppings galore and featuring any delicious leftovers. There is always something for everyone and the acronym makes the meal a thousand times better. 

Mac and Cheese

cheese, macaroni
Prairie Broughton

Ours is baked to perfection with breadcrumbs on top and gooey cheesy macaroni inside. Mmmmmmmm

Peanut Butter and Jelly Sandwich

peanut butter, peanut, sandwich, butter, bread, jam, jelly, bit, wheat, slice, pb&j, peanut butter and jelly sandwich
Caroline Ingalls

A meal for the pickiest eaters or for camp trip days: peanut butter and jelly sandwiches are a classic. If the meal just isn't for you, peanut butter and jelly will always be there. With so many options and flavors, this sandwich just won't disappoint. 

Birthday Cake

cake, birthday cake, chocolate
Sydney Youmans

After countless summers, you will wish that you had a summer birthday. The whole camp gets up to sing to you and you get a delicious cake to share with all of your best friends. Birthdays are so special, but camp birthdays are even more so. 

Whoopie Pies

cream, chocolate, sandwich, cookie, marshmallow, whoopie pie, ice, ice cream
Josi Miller

If you've yet to have a whoopie pie, you are missing out. The best way to describe this treat is like a giant cakey Oreo type delight with a creamy filling, but it is so much better. They are served all over Maine, but when camp dessert is whoopies, you can guarantee that there will be no leftovers.