Chobani has recently been rising in popularity as Greek yogurt sales in the US have been steadily increasing through the years. They have many product lines such as “Fruit On the Bottom,” “Blended,” “Plain,” and “Chobani Simply 100® Greek Yogurt.” Nevertheless, Chobani Flip is currently one of their most successful product lines. Chobani says, “35 to 40 percent of Chobani consumers first interact with the brand by purchasing a Flip product.”

For those of you who have never heard of or tried Chobani Flip, it is essentially a mix-in yogurt with a harmonious blend of toppings like chocolate and granola. The square, white container is separated by a divider that keeps the flavored Greek yogurt independent from the toppings/mix-ins.

chobani

Photo by Jason Cruz

I took the challenge and tried to buy all thirteen flavors currently being sold in stores, but was unable to find the Mango Passion Power flavor. However, I still went on with the challenge and got all the 12 I could find.

The yogurts are ranked from 1 to 10 — in increments of 0.5 — based on how well the toppings and yogurt flavor complements and blends with each other. I tried to be as objective as possible so apologies in advance if my views counteract yours.

12. Chipotle Pineapple — 3.5 points

chobani

Photo courtesy of @zartgirl82 on Instagram

Chobani has really gone out of their comfort zone with this one and created a concoction never to be easily imagined. Chipotle only sounds good to me in the form of mayonnaise and burrito bowls, but I went ahead and tried this out. The pineapple yogurt was good and refreshing, however something about the chipotle granola and the pumpkin seeds threw me off.

It was a strange combination because you would first taste the pineapple and then a random layer of chipotle would kick in. There’s also a slightly weird throat-burning aftertaste. I guess they thought it would make sense that the tart pineapple yogurt would accompany the chipotle spice well, but they failed on successfully delivering a good blend. Pass on this one (but if you must try it, do it for the thrilling experience).

11. Salted Caramel Crunch — 4.5 points

chobani

Photo courtesy of @juanita__marie on Instagram

This one is an unique blend of caramel with pretzels and pecans and chocolate. The crunch of the pretzel doesn’t really complement the caramel yogurt. I’ve never had caramel yogurt with pretzels before so I was hesitant to try, but the salt from the pretzels didn’t please my palate and the saltiness of them with the yogurt was strange. Also, I think the caramel yogurt is too artificial. Skip this!

10. Sriracha Mango — 4.5 points

chobani

Photo courtesy of @juba_n_hobbes on Instagram

Wait, Sriracha…in YOGURT!? This one has mango yogurt with sriracha-coated rice crisps, mini sesame sticks, and roasted and salted cashew pieces. The taste lived up to its crazy sounding combination and this combination tasted odd. The spicy crunch from the rice crisps and sesame sticks tasted out of place. However, this is a combination that was fun and quirky and I would definitely try it again just to be adventurous. But would I eat this often? I think not.

9. Peanut Butter Dream — 6.0 points

chobani

Photo courtesy of @marmars_happiness on Instagram

As a peanut butter lover, I had high expectations for this one but was sad to be fairly let down. I felt that the vanilla yogurt definitely overpowered the toppings of the peanuts, peanut butter clusters, and chocolate. Overall it is a good combination of toppings and one would assume that it would blend perfectly in a yogurt, however, the delivery was not good and the toppings lacked flavor by being paired with such an overpowering vanilla yogurt. PB & J > this a million times.

8. Chocolate Haze Craze — 6.5 point

chobani

Photo by Hannah Oh

WOAH! So much hazelnut because the yogurt is chocolate hazelnut flavored and there are a good amount of hazelnut toppings. There are also a lot of chocolate chips, but it kinda faintly tastes like a coffee maybe because of hazelnut? Very strong taste. I’m personally not crazy about chocolate and hazelnut, but it does go well together (Exhibit A. – Nutella, AKA heaven on earth). Good dessert.

7. Coffee Break Bliss — 7.5 points

chobani

Photo courtesy of @j.en__g on Instagram

Perfect for coffee lovers, the coffee yogurt itself was really strong. The chocolate gave it a sweet touch, whereas the biscotti added a nice crunch. This is a good dessert. The delivery of complementation was good because although the coffee yogurt was a little bitter, the toppings added sweetness. Overall, it was delectably bittersweet and delicious.

6. Peppermint Perfection — 7.5 points

chobani

Photo by Hannah Oh

I felt like it was December again while eating this. It tasted like mint Oreos with vanilla yogurt. I would only eat this when it’s the holiday season or maybe when I’m feeling nostalgic. The red container reminds me a little too much of the holidays. The peppermint white chocolate chunks are kinda big and can overwhelm those who aren’t fond of mint. Other things aside, this is a good combo

5. PB&J — 8.0 points

chobani

Photo by Hannah Oh

Throwback to elementary school lunches. The strawberry yogurt bound nicely with the peanut butter clusters and granola. There was a lot of crunch that was refreshing. Both the yogurt and toppings go very well together and the strawberry really ends up tasting like jelly due to the peanut butter clusters and peanuts. This was surprisingly good and I would eat this for breakfast.

4. Almond Coco Loco — 8.5 points

chobani

Photo courtesy of @gmsmith0910 on Instagram

I don’t know how, but Chobani Flip makes me fall in love with coconut every time. This flavor really caught me by surprise. The almonds really give it a nice texture to the coconut yogurt. Without reading that this contains almonds from the packaging, one could easily mistake them for coconut slices. This has a similar vibe to the Tropical Escape flavor, except for the chocolate here. I love it a lot.

3. Key Lime Crumble — 9.0 points

chobani

Photo by Jason Cruz

This is a tart and tangy yogurt that perfectly creates a taste-illusion of a key lime pie. The yogurt itself is key lime-flavored, but the white chocolate really kicks in at the end and adds a sweet aftertaste. The graham cracker topping also gives it a nice crunch that complements the tart of the yogurt very well.

2. Nutty for ‘Nana — 9.0 points

chobani

Photo by Jason Cruz

Very pleasing combo, especially for those who love bananas. The almonds almost tricked me into thinking that they were banana chips (similar to the Almond Coco Loco) and they give a nice crunch to the plain yogurt. The banana yogurt is very enjoyable and the combination reminds me of toast with nutella and bananas with sliced almonds. YUM!

1. Tropical Escape — 9.5 points

chobani

Photo courtesy of @fitnessnfoodvibes on Instagram

Being one of the few flavors without chocolate chips in the topping, the Tropical Escape is a harmonious blend of toasted coconut, hazelnuts, and granola. It has a hint of pineapple from the yogurt itself and gets its sweet taste from the granola. It literally feels like a tropical escape in my mouth. I love how it doesn’t have added chocolate because it’s perfect for breakfast. Try this and you’ll immediately fall in love.

Conclusion

I was reaffirmed of the ever famous quote “Don’t judge a book by it’s cover” once again in life and realized that some flavors let me down a lot and some flavors surprised me of their wonderful blend.

My favorites before beginning this challenge were “Nutty for ‘Nana” and “Tropical Escape” so I might’ve been a little biased, however, I had an objective standpoint throughout the whole tasting process so please trust my judgment.I’m sure all of the combinations were thoughtfully and carefully selected to make it to stores, however, some are better than others.