Whether it’s your breakfast or a 2 am snack, cereal is always there for you when you need it. The whole thing seems pretty simple, right? Grab a bowl, pour in some cereal, cover it with milk and you’re done. Sadly, that’s just not the case anymore.

With all the new options of milk, soy, almond, coconut, cashew, it’s hard to figure out which one is the best. Though we have figured out which cereal milk tastes the best, how do we know what cereal tastes best with what milk? Well lucky for you, we wanted to save you the trouble so we paired twelve cereals with four milks so you never have a subpar bowl of cereal again.

1. Whole Milk

Cereal

Photo by Delaney Strunk

Though too thick for some, whole milk is a cereal staple. Obviously the more traditional choice, whole milk is perfect when your body is craving some calcium. It’s hard to find a cereal whole milk doesn’t fit well with, but these cereals in particular are amplified when paired with this classic choice.

Cheerios

Is there anything more stereotypical than a bowl of cheerios with some whole milk? Sprinkle a little sugar on top and maybe toss in a few berries and breakfast is served.

Special K Red Berries

This cereal is the perfect, “I want to be healthy but I don’t want to give up sugar,” breakfast. The red berries against the white milk is as gorgeous as it is delicious.

Cinnamon Toast Crunch

Everyone knows the best part about eating a bowl of Cinnamon Toast Crunch is drinking the leftover milk at the end. You don’t mess with perfection, and Cinnamon Toast Crunch with whole milk is simply perfect.

2. Soy Milk

Cereal

Photo by Delaney Strunk

For my lactose intolerant friends, you probably have a love-hate relationship with this next option. Though soy milk lets you eat the food you normally can’t, the taste isn’t the best. But with these next three cereals, you’ll forget you’re drinking soy milk.

Cocoa Krispies

Did you know Cocoa Krispies still snap, crackle, and pop the same even in soy milk? Try your next bowl with soy milk and you may never go back to whole milk again.

#SpoonTip: For double the flavor use chocolate soy milk. 

Lucky Charms

It’s pretty common knowledge that the best part of Lucky Charms is the marshmallows, however the sugar in soy milk actually makes the boring X and O shaped cereal taste great.

Trix

Trix recently took out the artificial food dye in their cereal making your bowl far less colorful, but at least the fruity taste hasn’t gone away.

3. Almond Milk

Cereal

Photo by Delaney Strunk

Though I’m still confused on the process of making milk from almonds, in terms of a dairy substitute, almond milk is pretty darn good. It may taste a little salty but it’s nothing these cereals can’t handle.

Cocoa Puffs

My personal favorite, Cocoa Puffs and almond milk is a match made in heaven. You know how salt brings out the rich taste of chocolate? The salt in the almond milk does the same for the chocolate in this cereal. We won’t judge you if you have a bowl or two.

Reeses Puffs

Honestly, Reeses Puffs are so good you could probably pour tequila over them and they’d still taste amazing. The leftover milk at the end of this bowl is peanut butter and chocolate goodness.

Honey Bunches of Oats

If you want to feel healthy, grab a bowl of Honey Bunches of Oats with almond milk. Though it’s a healthier choice, that doesn’t mean all the flavor goes away. This bowl of cereal is a force to be reckoned with, trust us.

4. Coconut Milk

Cereal

Photo by Delaney Strunk

Pretty much one step away from water, coconut milk is the thinnest of the dairy-free choices. For the best taste, make sure this milk is cold before pouring it into these cereals.

Fruit Loops

It’s kind of a no-brainer that coconut milk would pair well with a fruity cereal. Though fruit loops normally become soggy 3 minutes into a bowl, with coconut milk the cereal retains its crunch.

#SpoonTip: Save the milk at the end and combine with rum and blue curacao and voila, breakfast and a shot. 

Cap’n Crunch with Berries

It sounds like a weird combination but this cereal with coconut milk is next level cereal goals. Don’t believe us? Pour yourself a bowl and get ready to have your world rocked.

Frosted Flakes

Even Tony the Tiger would agree that Frosted Flakes and coconut milk is great. Cut up some banana and sprinkle a bit of sugar on top and you have one kickass breakfast.