Summer barbecues are right around the corner, which for most means burgers and hot dogs fresh off the grill. In my family, BBQ usually means my Dad forgets about whatever he’s put on the grill (please read this guide to grilling, Dad), and we all eat charred meat for dinner.

However, for those of us who choose to forgo meat of any kind – sizzled or charred, summer barbecues can mean an empty plate with a hefty side of ketchup.

vegetarian

Luckily for us, the grill does not discriminate and welcomes veggies with an open flame. Here are six vegetarian-friendly foods that can be grilled and incorporated into recipes the whole family can enjoy. (In my case, this applies only if mom is manning the grill.)

1. Corn

If you reach your max intake of corn on the cob this summer (very unlikely but possible in theory), change things up and throw that corn in the fire with these mouthwatering recipes.

Grilled Corn Cheddar Quinoa

vegetarian

Photo courtesy of howsweeteats.com

If you have yet to try this gluten-free grain, start with this unlikely combo that’s guaranteed to leave you wanting more. After trying this cheddar-infused version, your plain quinoa days will be long over. This dish is super easy to make – even more reason to re-create it again and again.

Grilled Corn, Crema Mexicana & Cilantro Crostini

vegetarian

Photo courtesy of Romulo Yanes

Excuse me while I drool all over my keyboard while dreaming of these corn filled crostinis. If you’re looking to be the hostess with the most-est, serve these up buffet style with a basket of bread, a bowl mixed with the sour cream, cilantro, feta cheese, and a plate of sliced limes to top it off.

Grilled Corn and Tomato Fettuccine

vegetarian

Photo courtesy of howsweeteats.com

This fettuccine dish’s delicious combination of grilled corn and tomato is worth having to use both a grill and stove. If you’re really feeling the veggie option, substitute the pasta for these zoodles.

2. Eggplant

Though there is some speculation surrounding the benefits of this nightshade veggie (thanks, Tom Brady), eggplants are a great source of fiber, vitamin B1, and copper. These recipes are perfect for when it’s way too hot to be inside baking eggplant parm.

Grilled Eggplant with Herbed Quinoa

vegetarian

Photo courtesy of Hugh Forte

This recipe only takes 20 minutes and leaves you with the most flavorful, photogenic, and vegetarian-friendly dinner. If you’re over the quinoa trend, you can substitute in your grain of choice (brown rice, millet, barley, ect). Additionally, this recipe calls for za’atar seasoning, and if you’re like me and have no idea wtf za’atar is, fear not because you can just use oregano or thyme.

Grilled Eggplant Naan Wraps with Tahini-Yogurt Dressing

vegetarian

Photo courtesy of Iain Bagwell

I only recently discovered my love for Mediterranean food. I have no idea what took me so long, but I am now obsessed with all things hummus, tabouli, falafel, and of course eggplant. If you’re like me and late to the Mediterranean-inspired party, these naan wraps are the perfect way to jump on board. (If you don’t like eggplant don’t worry, just try drenching it in the tahini yogurt sauce- it’s to die for.)

Eggplant Steak with Chickpeas, Roasted Red Peppers, Feta Cheese and Black Olives

vegetarian

Photo by Max Bartick

Obviously still not over the Mediterranean thing. This “steak dish” masterfully combines feta cheese, olives, peppers, and chickpeas leaving you stuffed, satisfied, and wishing you had room for seconds.

3. Peaches

Grilled peaches make a great dessert for all at a summer barbecue. However, if you’re a vegetarian looking to partake in the first and second course of the meal alongside the meat lovers, try out this peachy appetizer and peachier entree before digging into dessert.

Grilled Peach and Ricotta Crostini

vegetarian

Photo by Hannah Cooper

Bring on the peachy appetizer. This recipe claims to replace your avocado toast obsession. For those of us that have dabbled in the art of avocado toast, we know this is a big promise to make. Spoiler alert: the promise prevails.

Portobello and Peach Burger

vegetarian

Photo courtesy of greenkitchenstories.com

Ready for the peachier entree? Blend right into the barbecue crowd with this flavorful faux-burger. In addition to grilled peaches, this burger houses a grilled portobello mushroom, onions, tomato, and guac, meaning the meat eaters will want the veggie option.

Grilled Peaches and Sweet Cream with Crunchy Bits

vegetarian

Photo courtesy of nutritionstripped.com

At last, the peachiest dessert. Are we sick of peaches yet? Never. This vegan, gluten-free, and paleo dessert is perfect to wow your dinner party guests this summer.

#Spoontip: If peaches aren’t your fruit of choice, try out some of these easy fruit desserts you can make on your grill.

4. Mushrooms

Portobello mushrooms can hold their own alongside the beefiest of barbecue meats. These mushroom recipes are guaranteed to beat out any store-bought veggie burger or tofu dog.

Grilled Stuffed Portobello Mushrooms

vegetarian

Photo courtesy of Cookin’ Canuck

Scroll to the second recipe featured here to find how to make these toasted beauties that are stuffed to the brim. P.S. it’s totally acceptable and encouraged to eat these with your hands.

Vegan Hawaiian Portobello Burgers

vegetarian

Photo courtesy of zachspuckler.com

Because pineapple and portobello belong together. Bonus: this recipe also has maple syrup in it. What more could you ask for?

5. Zucchini

Grilled zucchini can be a delicious side dish and an even more delicious staple. Add some Mexican heat to your summer with these zucchini inspired quesadillas, or give Mediterranean a try with these humus crostinis.

Grilled Cumin-Lime Zucchini Quesadilla

vegetarian

Photo courtesy of naturallyella.com

These crowd-pleasing quesadillas are perfect for both the herbivore and carnivore. Feel free to add in whatever else you please- squash, eggplant, and corn are all excellent options.

Grilled Hummus & Zucchini Crostini

vegetarian

Photo by Julia Maguire

Why settle for ketchup and mustard when you can have melty hummus on top of toasted bread layered with grilled zucchini? If you’re really trying to embrace the vegetarian diet, make these zucchini meatballs with your leftovers.

6. Bread

Grilled bread takes the cake over toasted and baked. These recipes will have meat lovers everywhere abandoning their burgers and opting for bread.

Grilled Pizza

vegetarian

Photo by Sophie Maschinot

Pizza needs no further explanation (hello, it’s pizza) but if you need some convincing, homemade pizza is often healthier and way more delicious. Plus this DIY method takes just 15 minutes, so why not give it a go?

Fresh Grilled Veggie Tacos

vegetarian

Photo courtesy of edibleperspective.com

Literally every ingredient in this recipe is grilled down to the shells. Throw some guac and sprinkle some salsa on top of these toasty tacos and you’ll never go back to that basic burger.

Grilled Garlic Bread

vegetarian

Photo courtesy of betterhousekeeper.com

Somehow the grill makes for an even butterier, toastier, more garlic filled bread. Garlic is proven to have some amazing health benefits, so treat yourself and dive into that bread basket.