If you're a lover of garlic like myself, you had to learn to accept that if you want to cook with it, the smell of garlic on your hands will linger for days. This phenomenon, frequently referred to as "garlic hands," is not ideal. 

As much as I love garlic, I can't help but get sick of the smell on my hands for so long. While there are dozens of great ways to peel garlic, there never seems to be good tips for getting rid of "garlic hands".

After some research, I'm here to give you some possible solutions. You can get rid of "garlic hands", so you don't have to think twice before making dishes that will give you some serious garlic breath

Here are some things that you can rub onto your hands after chopping up some garlic to get rid of your garlic hands. 

1. Stainless Steel

Stainless steel will be your most effective bet when it comes to getting rid of the odor. It has been said that stainless steel takes a longer time to rub the smell away, so if you need the smell to be gone quickly I would suggest something else. 

2. Lemon

lemon peel, juice, citrus, lemon
Caroline Liu

Working quicker than stainless steel, lemons get rid of your smelly hands while giving you a clean citrus scent in the process. Just make sure you don't have any cuts on your hands before you rub a lemon on them. 

3. Toothpaste

I've used toothpaste to get rid of garlic hands in the past and although it does feel weird to use it as a soap, it does work. That being said, the smell is almost too minty at times. As in "wow my eyes are watering" minty, be wary of that. 

4. Coffee

candy, espresso, sweet, chocolate, coffee
Christin Urso

Acting as an exfoliant, using coffee grounds is also trick to get rid of "garlic hands". The exfoliation from the grounds eradicates the smell quicker and the smell of coffee instead isn't a bad perk.  

5. Salt and Baking Soda

If you have sensitive skin, it has been advised to just use baking soda for this remedy. By combining 1 teaspoon of salt with 2 teaspoons of baking soda, and adding a little water, a paste should form. 

Rub the paste into your hands, then rinse with water. Your "garlic hands" should be a thing of the past. 

6. Tomato Juice

pasture, apple, vegetable, nectarine
Adnan Amin

Just like when you get sprayed by a skunk, tomato juice can clear up the garlic smell sticking to your hands. A brief soak of your hands in some tomato juice is advised to help the smell dissipate.

7. Vinegar

Though I can't imagine why the smell of vinegar would be better than garlic, it has been said that if you dab some vinegar soaked paper towel onto your hands the garlic smell should go away.

I guess if you really can't stand garlic, you should try this. 

8. Cold Water

ice, water
Jasmine Chan

When you wash your hands after getting "garlic hands", I suggest using cold water instead of warm. Using warm water will enlarge your pores and make the smell pass into them, making the odor stick around even longer. 

9. Cologne or Perfume

This one is a last-ditch effort, but cologne or perfume will definitely mask "garlic hands", if only for a short time. I would only use this one in a pinch, though. 

10. Oil

water, wine, beer
Alex Frank

Finally, in an attempt to avoid "garlic hands", it has been said that if you rub your hands with an oil before chopping it will help. Promptly wash with soap and water and you'll be able to enjoy your garlic without the smell lingering on your hands.