One year for my dad’s birthday we bought him a deep fryer, and it practically changed my life. Fried food and I are like two peas in a pod, and my love for greasy goodness was only enhanced once I owned a deep fryer.

My world was filled with rainbows and butterflies until one day, when I found out that my favorite kitchen appliance had been tossed in the garbage. My very own mother had thrown it out, and the amazing foods that came with it were all but a memory. The zepolees, potato chips, french fries, and fried ice cream were once a couple minutes away, so in remembrance of some of my favorite foods, here’s what is so good about each of them.

Zepolees

fryer

Photo courtesy of Cook’s Courtesy

Zepolees are amazing balls of fried dough that are dipped in powdered sugar. They are often sold at town carnivals, boardwalks, or circuses. Just imagine eating these in the comfort of your own home on a Sunday morning surrounded by your family.

Potato Chips

fryer

Photo courtesy of Telly’s Tasty Tidbits

We all know that potato chips are one of the best snacks in the world, but have you ever had the homemade version? Store bought potato chips have nothing on these. You pick the potato, you slice it, you salt it or add any seasoning you want, and then you just fry it up. It’s not just the taste that is satisfying, but also the experience of doing it all yourself.

French Fries

fryer

Photo courtesy of Telly’s Tasty Tidbits

As for french fries, think about all of the great aspects of potato chips listed above, but with a different shape and texture. You can essentially make fries however and whenever you want with a deep fryer. Not only simple fries, but truffle fries or even chili fries are possible. And don’t feel constrained to using potatoes, because carrots or sweet potatoes are totally delicious in french fry form. Just think, you can have french fries at any hour.

Fried Ice Cream

fryer

Photo courtesy of browneyedbaker

My older brother loves fried ice cream, so one day he tried to make some with the deep fryer. If you’ve never had fried ice cream, you’re doing something wrong. Homemade fried ice cream is just a scoop of ice cream,rolled into crushed cornflakes and fried. Basically, you get restaurant quality dessert in your favorite pajamas while watching your favorite movie on your favorite couch.

In reality, my mom was trying to make us eat healthier, and I guess you could say she succeeded. Although, I am not here to claim that I am a total health guru now, or that I can now recommend the best kale diet, the lack of access to greasy foods has definitely helped me out in the health department. My nutrition may have improved, but the deep fryer is still “the one that got away,” and until we meet again I want it’s memories to live on forever.