2017 has been the year of the cauliflower trend and we're not complaining. Cauliflower was bound to get the attention it deserved after simply existing as broccoli's cousin for so many years.

This low calorie, low fat, low carb versatile cruciferous vegetable is packed with vitamin C, vitamin K, folate, pantothenic acid, vitamin B6, choline, fiber, and omega-3 fatty acids. Additionally, it can shape shift into any food item you desire. From mashed potatoes, pizza crust, orange "chicken", and fried rice, you name it and cauliflower can do it. No wonder cauliflower has received so much love: it's practically a paleo, low carb, vegan, low fat, health nut foodie dream. The cauliflower movement didn't come from anywhere, in fact Instagram foodies are to thank for this craze.

As 2017 quickly comes to an end, I have chosen my top 3 favorite cauliflower trends

1. Cauliflower Base Smoothies

Lee Tilghman aka @LeefromAmerica, an Instagram influencer and recipe developer, spearheaded the cauliflower movement by adding frozen cauliflower to her smoothie bowls in order to cut down on sugar while keeping the consistency. Lee uses frozen cauliflower as a substitute for frozen banana to combat her PCOS, which is triggered by too much sugar. This food trend has encouraged more people to increase their veggie consumption and get their cauliflower craze on. 

Trust me, you don't even taste it. Cauliflower is amazing because it adds volume without the extra calories and takes on any flavor you put with it. I love big smoothie bowl, but sometimes adding 3 or more bananas is a little excessive, so I started incorporating frozen cauliflower to all my breakfast bowls and I will never go back. Frozen cauliflower keeps the frozen, thick, velvety texture you desire in a delicious smoothie bowl. Add frozen cauliflower to your next smoothie or smoothie bowl and thank me later when your smoothie is not only delicious, but packed with vegetables. 

2. Cauliflower Pizza Crust

Who doesn't love pizza? The only thing I don't love about the glutenous, saucy, tasty dish is my inability to stop after two slices. Now with the creation of cauliflower crust, if I wanted to, I could eat the entire pizza without feeling heavy, bloated, or guilty. There is no need to sacrifice taste or texture when cauliflower pizza crust is an amazing alternative to the traditional crust. Trader Joe's carries one of the best cauliflower crusts, as it's made with real food ingredients. You can trick any pizza lover into thinking this is the real deal. 

3. Cauliflower Rice

I will forever be thankful for Trader Joe's, it has trendy food items for an affordable price, which is a college foodie's paradise. Cauliflower rice is the second best thing invented after blenders. Riced cauliflower embodies any flavor you desire and can be substituted for any rice for any cuisine. I've tried cauliflower fried rice, Mexican style cauliflower rice, cauliflower rice risotto, cauliflower rice sushi, and cauliflower curried rice. No matter what cuisine you choose, cauliflower rice acts as a perfect swap to any starch filled grain.  

The cauliflower movement definitely changed the smoothie and starch game and has helped people incorporate more veggies into their lives. Cauliflower is loaded with vitamins and minerals while acting as a great canvas for any culinary adventure.

Will this cauliflower trend continue to 2018, or will zucchini take the spotlight?