Well, we've done it again. Americans have Americanized sushi, a Japanese delicacy, and the result is an unhealthy meal that we are fooled to believe is nutritious. However, if you are a sushi lover like me, you can find healthy sushi options. .

First, steer clear of anything that says tempura or crunchy. In sushi restaurants, "tempura" means fried. It also indicates not to eat it if you're trying to cut your calorie intake. Next, cut back on the sauce. Although eel sauce, spicy mayo, and soy sauce are all delicious, they are high in sugar and sodium. "Creamy" and "spicy" rolls are also a no-go. Rolls that include cream cheese include extra fat as well, while "spicy" rolls are drenched in a sauce consisting of mayonnaise and chili paste.

Now that we've gotten past the bad side of sushi, here are some healthy sushi options to enjoy so you can still enjoy one of the greatest foods out there.

1. Salmon Avocado Roll

Think of a more iconic duo than salmon and avocado. I'll wait. In addition to the roll's delicious melt-in-your-mouth taste, its health benefits are an even bigger win. Both foods are high in omega-3 fats that work to keep your heart healthy and your stomach full.

2. Naruto rolls

One of the biggest culprits in adding extra calories to sushi rolls is the rice. An alternative option is to order your roll Naruto style. This means that you can still satisfy your fish craving with a roll wrapped in cucumber, instead of rice. A typical sushi roll is  made with one cup of rice, which equates to three servings of carbs and over 200 calories. Replacing rice with cucumber in a roll will help you feel less guilty if you're cutting back on cals. 

3. Tuna Roll

Keep it simple with a tuna roll and hold the "spicy." According to Men's Fitness magazine, sticking with one of these while you dine will help suppress your hunger later. This is due to the whopping 24 grams of protein packed in every roll. Suggestions are, but are not limited to, adding cucumber, jalapeño or mango for some extra flavor.

4. White fish

For the leanest fish in the sea, look no further than white fish. Fish such as yellowtail, halibut, and albacore tuna and great examples of delicious white fish. These are rich in B-vitamins and low in fat. If you ever find yourself in New York City or Los Angeles, make your way to Sugar Fish. Their albacore tuna is hands down the best I've ever tasted.

5. Various types of sashimi

If you decide to opt for a no-carb meal, sashimi is your best bet. Unlike maki, which is a piece of fish served over rice, sashimi is prepared without rice but is easily just as tasty. Dietitian and blogger Danielle LaFata suggests choosing sashimi over maki to eliminate those extra calories. Some of my favorite sashimi dishes are Tuna Tataki (yellow or ahi tuna lightly seared and doused in a citrus soy sauce) and White Truffle Salmon (thinly sliced pieces of salmon with truffle oil). 

6. Mackerel Roll

An often overlooked option on sushi menus is mackerel, which "has similar health benefits to salmon as it is also a rich source of omega 3 fatty acids". Choose this fish if you're feeling adventurous and want to switch up your typical order.

7. Substitute white rice for black or brown 

Although eating sushi without rice is an ideal way to go, sometimes it's hard to resist our dearly beloved friend– carbohydrates. For a healthier option, ask your server to have your roll made with brown or black rice.

Brown rice has an ample amount of fiber, which is key for healthy digestion and for keeping your stomach full. Additionally, black rice, also known as "forbidden rice," is full of antioxidants and can help protect your heart's health. It slows down the absorption of sugar in the blood which is helpful in preventing diabetes. 

8. Rainbow Roll

Since there seems to be everything from rainbow lattes to rainbow grilled cheese out there, why not follow the trend by Instagramming a Rainbow Roll? In this dish, a colorful variety of fish sits atop a bed of nori, rice, crab, and avocado. Although this is higher in calories than other rolls, it is filled with protein and contains no sugar or sodium filled additives. 

9. Veggie rolls

If fish isn't your thing but you don't want to completely miss out on all the sushi hype, order a roll packed with veggies. With the increasing number of vegetarians and vegans in the world, more and more restaurants are adding veg-head friendly options to their menus. Although cucumber rolls and avocado rolls seem to be most popular, they may taste pretty bland. Munch on some extra flavor by throwing in jalapeños, scallions, or any sort of fruit you see on the menu.   

10. Hand rolls

Not feeling pieces of sushi? Go for a healthy hand roll with crispy seaweed or rice paper on the outside, your choice of fish, and minimal rice on the inside. Dietician Alina Petre says to turn to temaki (hand rolls) when you don't want to consume too much rice.

11. Yellow Tail Scallion Roll

The Yellow Tail Scallion Roll can be found on almost every sushi restaurant's menu. It's super simple, yet incredibly delicious. Yellow Tail Tuna is an excellent source of omega-3  fatty acids, which are important for brain and heart functions, while scallions add extra taste and have virtually no calories in them. 

See? It is possible to eat clean at Japanese restaurants with these healthy sushi options. Stick to this guide when your sushi craving kicks in but don't want to sacrifice taste for health.