The Oreo factory has been busy lately, churning out new flavors left and right. We’ve seen the good — birthday cake, peanut butter, the bad — watermelon, Rice Krispie, and the ugly — berry burst ice cream (which looked like pink vomit, to be perfectly honest). However, when I set off to my local grocery store to buy Reese’s Peanut Butter Cup Oreos, I was pretty darn excited. After all, the only thing I love more than peanut butter is chocolate, and Reese’s has a pretty stellar reputation for doing them both together right.

Oreo

Photo by Aja Frost

When I peeled open the top, I was embraced with the wonderful fragrance of peanut butter cups. A promising start.

Oreo

Photo by Aja Frost

As you can see, the cream filling of these Oreos is split in half… to more fully emphasize the dual flavors, I guess? First, I tried the peanut butter portion. This tasted exactly like the interior of a Reese’s cup, except instead of having a granular, texturized mouthfeel, it was much smoother and consistent. It was the perfect mix of salty and sweet; honestly, I would be happy eating just this out of a jar or something, like frosting.

Oreo

Photo by Aja Frost

Next, I tried the chocolate crescent. I could still pick up a faint taste of peanut butter, but this was much more chocolate-centric. It was almost as if the Oreo producers had blended up the hard sandwich part of the cookie and made it into filling. Still delicious, but it blended into the cracker flavor a little too much for my liking.

Lastly, I tried the whole thing together. It was a phenomenal combination–I think they did a fantastic job of infusing an Oreo with the traditional peanut butter cup flavor. The main difference was the added graham cracker taste from the chocolate exterior and the butteriness of the interior.

All in all, I’d say this was a total hit. Looks like a new member just got added to the Oreo Hall of Fame.

Check out more taste tests: