Every week I'm faced with the same dilemma: will I actually be productive and get my work done, or will I avoid all responsibility, yet actually enjoy Chicago? There have been too many times where I have chosen the latter, just to horribly regret my decision on Sunday evening. Instead I've found a compromise. I have found some great caffeine fixes to boost a study session and I  kinda almost like it (*gasp*). There's really something about a nice cup of coffee to get you in the mood for 6 straight hours of note-taking. Here's at list of 5 of my favorite places:  

1. Hero Coffee Bar   

This cute little shop in the heart of the city has some great seating, as well as a wonderful variety of drinks. I got the matcha latte and it was quite honestly one of best I've ever had. The staff was also incredibly friendly, plus the specialty drinks looked incredible. You'll definitely catch me here a lot more.  

Tamara Markus

2. Caffe Streets 

This super aesthetic coffee shop in Wicker Park has a wonderful ambiance. I was able to get so much done, even when I was with one of my friends. The art and wooden details give such a great vibe and there was plenty of seating and outlets (the key to success).

Tamara Markus

3. Sawada Coffee  

Sawada Coffee shares a space with Green Street Smoked Meats, a huge plus when you're into an intense study session and need a real meal at that 1 o'clock mark. While its a pretty mainstream place, the seating and aesthetic cannot be overlooked. The whole space is filled with extra long picnic style tables, perfect for being extra and spreading out all your notes. This rustic-chic sanctuary has gorgeous lights all over and some of the yummiest doughnuts. Try the pistachio next time you go. My only comment is they didn't have any accessible outlets, so be sure you come prepared with full battery. 

Tamara Markus
Tamara Markus

4. Dollop Coffee 

Dollop has a bunch of locations all over the city and they never disappoint. The coffee is really decent and the atmosphere is prime for literally all types of work. I have a special place in my heart for the brie and fig sandwich paired with a iced rocky road latte. Tip: bringing a metal straw with you and opting out of a lid when you aren't taking a coffee to go can be a small change to help reduce unnecessary plastic consumption.  #savetheturtles #theyarecute

Tamara Markus

5. Ipsento 606

This place is my all time favorite spot in Chicago. The Ipsento Latte is literally the most delicious cup of coffee in the entire city and the aesthetic is  a  m  a  z  i  n  g. I have eaten so many of their mini donuts (you have to get the maple bourbon) during the countless hours I've spent here. I usually don't even bring headphones because their music selection is always so good. Also, it right next door to a super cute shop called Bow and Arrow which sells the greatest accessories and stationery imaginable. I wish I could move into this coffee shop. 10/10 would recommend to anyone.  

Tamara Markus
Tamara Markus

Chicago is filled with so many incredible places that demand to be enjoyed. While school work can definitely minimize the time for pleasures within the city, don't forget that sometimes the two can be accomplished at once. Even more importantly, always remember to leave some time to just enjoy all the offerings of this incredible city, not just in the presence of that week's homework.