Ginger beer is a staple on my bar cart, and I think it's up there as one of the best additions to any drink. Honestly, unless vodka doesn't come with a side of ginger beer, I tend to stay away from it altogether (don't hold me to that). Ginger beer gives a sweet yet subtly spicy taste, and ginger beer cocktails tend to maintain that taste throughout. Depending on the brand you use, the level of ginger varies, so here's my advice: if you're not so keen on tasting ginger, try out Barritt's Ginger Beer; if you're ready to take the plunge, try out Q Ginger Beer.

Here are the six best ginger beer cocktails you should know about.

1. Moscow Mule

Moscow mules have quickly become my favorite drink because, 1. they're super easy to make, 2. they're delicious, and 3. masking the taste of vodka is all I can ask. All you need is vodka and ginger beer, and for extra flavoring (if you're feeling up to it), lime juice. Yes, that's it, but you can't forget the classic copper cup. 

2. Ginger Beer Margaritas

This is the new trendy margarita. Join all your fellow hipsters by replacing the margarita mix with ginger beer. You just need tequila, ginger beer, simple syrup, lime juice, and salt. Complement the sweetness of tequila with the spiciness of the ginger beer.

3. The Big Sister

Unfortunately, the winter festivities are over, but the drinks don't have to be! This recipe is slightly more extensive, but totally worth it. In five minutes, you'll have a drink that's something ready to celebrate. All you need is cranberry juice, orange juice, ginger beer, citrus vodka, simple syrup, and lemon juice. If you want to be fancy (yes, you do), skewer sugared cranberries and throw them on top.

4. Ginger Beer Paloma

A paloma is a delicious tequila-based cocktail that uses grapefruit-flavored soda as a mixer. This drink is super simple to make and super fun to enjoy. To customize with ginger beer, add it to tequila, grapefruit juice, lime juice, agave/simple syrup, and salt for garnish. The ginger beer brings out the tartness of the grapefruit, but it refills the carbonation.

5. Dark and Stormy

This is what the world calls a "high-ball drink." Imagine this: you just graduated college, you're classy and you're sassy, and you waltz up to your guests and hand them this mega ginger beer cocktail. And best part to all that, it's super easy to make. Literally mix rum and ginger beer together, and throw a lime wedge in there for some pizzazz.

6. Ginger Beer Mojito

Mojitos are home in Miami, salsa music in the background with feet in the sand. Typically, I'm not a fan of reinventing the wheel, but I can't imagine ginger beer adding anything less than deliciousness to this drink. Another rum drink, the only ingredients you need are ginger beer, mint leaves, and fresh lime juice. If you're too lazy to muddle mint leaves, try making this mint syrup instead.

Now that you know these classic ginger beer cocktails, you're ready to take on the role of hostess. Just remember to keep your fridge stocked with ginger beer, and you'll be a weapon. Cheers!

#SpoonTip: Spoon University does not support underage drinking or binge drinking. Please drink responsibly, friends!