In the news recently, you may have heard a lot of hooplah about Patriots’ quarterback Tom Brady and his wife, model Gisele Bündchen’s insane vegan, gluten-free, paleo diet. No sugar, no white flour, no caffeine, no dairy, no tomatoes, no peppers, no mushrooms, no eggplants. I guess this extremely restrictive diet makes sense, considering it’s important to maintain a healthy regimen when your body is so crucial to your occupation.

Super Bowl

Photo courtesy of starpulse.com

Sorry, Patriots fans, but they aren’t going to the Super Bowl, are they? The Denver Broncos defeated them to prove that they are the AFC West champs while the Carolina Panthers killed the Arizona Cardinals for the NFC South title. So let’s take a closer look at the diet regimens of two of the Broncos’ and the Panthers’ MVP’s:

Peyton Manning

Super Bowl

Photo courtesy of libertycitys.com

It’s not a secret that Broncos quarterback Peyton Manning isn’t Super Bowl virgin. The 2016 Broncos are the fourth team that the 39-year-old will lead to the Super Bowl. That’s right, Manning is 39 years old. What does an old fart like him eat to stay in the shape that is vital to play in the NFL?

Here’s what the QB will be eating before the big game on Sunday: pasta with marinara sauce, plain baked potato, two grilled chicken breasts, 1/2 cup of broccoli, 32 oz. bottle of Gatorade Perform. Whether it’s an early 11 am game or at 7 pm, this is what he eats before every game.

Now, let’s break it down even more. This meal pushes about 400 grams of carbs – 8 times the amount recommended before an average person’s workout. If he eats this meal 3.5-4 hours pre-game, it will give him the strength to power through 4 hours of game time with a cushion for possible OT. It’s safe to say you might not wanna mess with Manning when he’s on a carb haul.

Cam Newton

Super Bowl

Photo courtesy of sportingnews.com

On the flip side, let’s take a look at Carolina Panther’s QB Cam Newton. Newton is a baby compared to Manning, aging 26 years old. Does his diet reflect his young age? Let’s check it out.

Last year, Newton spilled to Charlotte Magazine that he likes sugary cereals. A lot. He is a self-claimed “cereal connoisseur.” His favorites include, but are not limited to, Apple Jacks, Lucky Charms, & Cinnamon Toast Crunch.

Newton also frequents a Charlotte chili dog vendor for lunch multiple times a week, Vic the Chili Man. To be fair, he does disclaim that he goes for the vegan dogs. But still, how does he maintain the marble statue-like structure he calls his body?

Newton came to the realization that if we wanted to train and play well, he had to eat well. This awareness led to the decision of becoming a pescetarian. Pescetarianism excludes the consumption of all land-based animals, focusing on fish, vegetables, fruits, and grains.

Super Bowl

Nutritionists argue that pescetarianism is the healthiest diet of all. The fatty acids in fish and seafood serve the cardiovascular system well. Not only is this beneficial for long-term lung and heart health, but if there’s a hiccup in a play and Newton needs to run the ball down the field, Newton’s physical activity will be up to par because his muscles will have an easier time taking in and using oxygen.

Will Cam Newton break his diet and eat the Broncos this Sunday? Or will Peyton Manning’s carb overload triumph? Find out Sunday, February 7th.