The marriage of ripe avocado and toasted bread is, perhaps, something I’ll never be able to fully understand. How can something so simple be so good? Luckily, it seems like this two-ingredient breakfast trend might not be a trend at all  – because it isn’t going anywhere. From black truffles to turmeric poached eggs, restaurants across Manhattan are adding unique twists to this breakfast trend staple. Here’s a list of the best of the best:

1. Whynot Coffee: Tomato Basil Avocado Toast

Avocado Toasts

Photo courtesy of @eatwithkelsey on Instagram

Whynot Coffee is everything you would expect from a coffee shop on the Lower East Side: a little grungy, a lot trendy, and offers great people watching. Less obvious, though, is their amazing food (most notably the avocado toast). They have three different types of toast, but the tomato basil with fried egg is the clear winner. It’s perfectly seasoned and placed on a massive slice of sourdough bread.

2. NOMO Kitchen: Avocado Toast with Poached Egg, Black Truffles, and Meyer Lemon

Avocado Toasts

Walking into NOMO Kitchen feels like entering a convention for the world’s most posh jet-setter’s, and if you’re in the mood to splurge, this place is perfect. Their toast comes on a thick piece of crispy French bread, smothered in avocado spread, avocado slices, a perfectly runny poached egg, and some genius mix of meyer lemon and spices.

Adding black truffles will cost you an extra $7, but when you’re already dropping $20 on a pice of avocado toast, why not? Enjoy the DJ, admire the storybook french couple sitting next to you, and eat some really good avocado toast.

3. Epistrophy: Avocado Toast with Watermelon Radish

Avocado Toasts

Photo courtesy of @missnewfoodie on Instagram

The avocado toast from this quaint Nolita café reminds us that sometimes the simplest things are best (and the most picturesque). Perfectly ripe avocado smashed on hearty grain bread, finished with watermelon radish, micro greens, and an (optional) poached egg.

#SpoonTip: If you don’t feel like waiting hours for a table at The Butcher’s Daughter, Epistrophy is a short walk away.

4. Cafe Clover: Toast with Beets and Radishes

Avocado Toasts

Photo courtesy of @CafeClover on Instagram

Situated in West Village, Cafe Clover serves light farm-to-table bites that are actually really delicious, and the avocado toast is no exception. It’s served on two pieces of thin, crispy wheat toast and topped with French radishes and beets, giving it some serious crunch. It also pairs well with their selection of healthy brunch cocktails. You’ll leave feeling more like a born-again health nut and less like you just ate a pound of guacamole.

5. Café Henrie: Avocado Toast with House Sprouts and Herb Tahini

Avocado Toasts

Photo courtesy of @cafehenrie on Instagram

With its hip neon lights and pastel pink table tops, the Lower East Side’s Café Henrie is an Instagrammer’s dream come true. Their avocado toast with house made sprouts and herb tahini is almost too pretty to eat – almost. If you’re feeling spunky, add a turmeric poached egg. They are delicious and they add a nice pop of color.

6. Two Hands: Avocado Toast with Fresh Spinach and Egg

Avocado Toasts

Photo courtesy of @hungrycollegekids on Instagram

It’d be cruel to compile a list of the best avocado toasts in New York and not include Two Hands. They practically started the trend that was adopted by countless other restaurants, blasted on social media, and brought right into our kitchens. Bottom line, their avocado toast is tried and true. You really can’t go wrong with the one who started it all.

7. Sanctuary T: Avocado Crostino

Avocado Toasts

Photo courtesy of @SanctuaryT on Instagram

Sanctuary T is the type of place you’d expect to see walking along the streets of Milan. Its open entrance and minimalist decor might draw you in, but the food and the cocktails will keep you coming back. They call their avocado toast a “crostino” because I guess that’s what you do if you’re fancy and located in SoHo. Regardless, this plate of crispy sourdough topped with cilantro and pickled onion is a 10/10.

#SpoonTip: Come here for a quiet brunch, a place where you can actually hear what the person you’re with is saying.

8. Little Collins: The Smash

Avocado Toasts

Photo courtesy of @sloppy_o on Instagram

Should you find yourself stranded in Midtown and in need of a solid cup of coffee and avocado toast (because we’ve all been there), Little Collins is where you should head. With lots of feta and pumpkin seeds, it’s a bit on the saltier side, but it packs a nice crunch. Have “The Smash” and a flat white, and you’re on track for a good day.

So, there you have it. Whether you’re a local or just visiting the Big Apple for a weekend, these are the spots to get the very best avocado toast. Try them all – you know you want to.