Are you tired of you family and friends stopping for fast food on a road trip? You need a meal that will keep you full and give you life. With a little preparation and planning, it’s easy to eat healthy on a road trip. First step, make a grocery list. Second, prepare your food and a map of where you may be stopping for food along the way. Third, have the best road trip ever. Read on for some more tips and tricks.

1. BYOS: Bring Your Own Snacks

healthy

Photo by Sophie Pinton

Don’t always count on others to stop at your desired food location. Don’t rely on prepackaged food either, unless of course you want apples and bananas which are already in their own package. Bringing a Ziploc bag of almonds, raisins, or granola is a good idea as well, if you are the type of eater who likes to graze.

2. Plan where you’re going to stop

healthy

Photo courtesy of blogs.reuters.com

When you’re traveling, you most likely have a good idea of what locations, cities, or towns you’ll be visiting or passing through. Do some research ahead of time before your trip. Download an app like Foodspotting, or read Yelp or Zagat restaurant reviews and choose some yummy, healthy places to enhance your trip.

3. If you have to stop at a convenience store…

Photo courtesy of i.bnet.com

Stock up on cereals with lower amounts of sugar (such as Cheerios), granola bars, yogurt, and nuts. If you need a drink, go for water, fruit juice, or a vegetable juice. Be careful though, fruit drinks can have a lot of unneeded sugars.

4. If you have to stop at a restaurant…

Photo by Heather Harris

Suggest to your friends that they might like a healthier option. As far as quick, healthy restaurants go, your best bet is Chipotle or Moe’s Southwest Grill, a sandwich shop, or a smoothie location. Remember that not every topping at a customizable food location like Chipotle is healthy. Also, keep in mind that at most chain restaurants like Wendy’s, Chik-fil-a, Chili’s, etc. you can probably find a salad on the menu as a healthier alternative.

#SpoonTip: Here are 27 ways to hack the Chipotle menu.

5. It’s all about the beverage

healthy

It’s important to drink lots of water and avoid sodas and other sugary beverages. Skip the Cookout milkshakes and fancy drinks from Starbucks that have hundreds of calories. Rely on tea or smoothies if you need something with a little flavor.

Eating healthy on a road trip takes a little planning beforehand and a little creativity when ordering at a restaurant. Try out these tips and tricks to make your trip a little easier.