During my first semester of college, I did finals oh so #wrong. I sacrificed nutrition for the sake of studying and ended up with an ear infection, a classic sinus cold, and a 103°F fever. Let me tell you, studying, under those circumstances, is most definitely worse than taking the time to care for your body while studying. I know I’m not alone in choosing to study over fueling my body, so here is a gentle reminder on how to be successful and stay healthy during finals season.

Drink Plenty of Water

Photo by Element5 Digital via Pexels

Hydrate the f*** up! Keep a water bottle with you when you study. Drinking water helps maintain the body’s fluid balance, which transports nutrients to the body and regulates body temperature. (Yay science!) Don’t want just plain old water? Throw a lemon in from your dining hall, or try out Mio or Liquid IV packs.

#SpoonTip: Don't get caught carrying around a dirty water bottle. Make sure yours is squeaky clean for your study sesh. 

Take Vitamin C

Photo by Alena Darmel via Pexels

Keeping your immune system strong and healthy is definitely a key to finals success. You can’t have too much Vitamin C, so stock up on citrus fruits, strawberries, and even Vitamin C lozenges to combat any sniffles that might come your way as you're studying. That bag of Cuties might just be your key to staying healthy during finals week. 

Eat Full Meals

Photo by Engin Akyurt via Pexels

Don’t tell yourself that you don’t have time for full meals or that you’re too stressed to eat. You don’t need to sit down and have a full three-course meal, but make sure you fill your body with plenty of nutrients and always try to include some protein.

#SpoonTip: A meal is a great study break and time to de-stress by eating with friends and talking about things other than finals. Scared that you and your friends will sit and chat for hours? Before you sit down, set a time that you need to put your nose back in your book.

Bring Snacks From the Dining Hall to the Library

Photo by Antoni Shkraba via Pexels

You’re going to need a snack while studying, and it might as well be a quick one you can grab at the dining hall. Snacks such as fruit slices and veggie sticks, granola bars, cereal, and beyond keep your body fueled with nutrients that will keep your brain active and alert for study time.

#SpoonTip: This is basically like getting a free snack because dining hall swipes (or whatever your college calls them) are basically Monopoly money. You have endless amounts of them, so why not take advantage?

Sleep a full 7-8 hours

Photo by Tima Miroshnichenko via Pexels

Wildest idea yet — you actually need sleep to properly function. Yes, I know you think those extra 3-4 hours of studying until 4 a.m. are really going to be your most productive hours of studying, but I promise they’re not.

Getting a full night's sleep not only keeps your immune system healthy, but it restores your brain and keeps you happy and attentive the next day. If you go to bed at a reasonable hour, you will avoid brain drain and still be able to spend quality time with your books the next day. Be kind to yourself — your body and mind need a break.

Hopefully, #finalszn is a better one for me this time, as I will be religiously living by these tips. If not, I’ll still see you on the other side, and I have six more attempts to get it right. Follow these tips and we will definitely be successful together and stay healthy during finals week.