Following a gluten-free diet doesn't mean you have to sacrifice your love of pasta. When I had to cut out gluten from my life last year for medical reasons, I became determined to find all the best gluten-free substitutes. Pasta was definitely one of my first priorities. After trying almost all the gluten-free pastas on the market, I ranked the top five. While some of these options taste identical to your average pasta, I also discovered different varieties that I enjoy even more than the taste of normal pasta. 

5. Black Bean Spaghetti

coffee, beans
Ariella Kuhl

This black bean spaghetti is made from only black beans and water (and you would never know they are made from black beans). It's certified gluten-free, vegan, USDA organic, and kosher parve. Since these noodles are a little bland, my favorite way to prepare them is this southwestern black bean spaghetti.

4. Brown Rice Pasta

vegetable
Ariella Kuhl

This pasta tastes identical to regular whole wheat pasta. Brown rice pasta is made from 100% organic brown rice and has a firm texture similar to regular pasta.

3. Chickpea Pasta

Ariella Kuhl

I love this pasta almost as much as I love chickpeas (which is a lot). Banza Chickpea Pasta has double the amount of protein of normal pasta and four times the fiber. These rotini have the same consistency as regular pasta, and you can only subtly taste the chickpeas, 

2. Soba Noodles

tea, coffee, chocolate
Ariella Kuhl

Soba noodles are creamy Japanese noodles made from buckwheat. They're extremely rich in phytonutrients, magnesium, protein, and fiber. You can treat Soba noodles like traditional spaghetti, or you can make make an Asian-inspired dish, such as thai peanut soba noodles.

1. Edamame and Mung Bean Fettuccine 

vegetable
Ariella Kuhl

By far, this is the best gluten-free pasta I've ever tried. These noodles are super healthy since they're made purely from edamame, mung beans, and water. They're chewier, richer, more filling, and way lower in carbs than your average pasta. It's like nothing I've tried before. My favorite way to prepare it is with leeks and pumpkin.