I have traveled the world for the better part of a decade exploring what causes people to live exciting and fulfilling lives. My new book The 2 AM Principle: Discover the Science of Adventure covers many of my discoveries by combining scientific research with outlandish stories (Getting crushed by a bull in Running of the Bulls, battling Kiefer Sutherland in drunken Jenga, etc.). One of the most unique experiences I found that you can afford even on a college student's budget is African Miracle Fruit.

Flavor tripping may sound like some strange, new gateway drug, but it’s actually just what happens when your tongue comes in contact with African miracle fruit. The African berry contains a natural protein called miraculin. When you put it on your tongue, it temporarily confuses your tastebuds, so that certain flavors taste different. It is best known for its ability to make sour foods taste sweet, but from my experience, it also blocks out spiciness and the burn of alcohol. 

You should try flavor tripping at least once in your life. Whether you want to play a prank on your friends, throw a dinner party that people will never forget or are just bored in your dorm room, the experience is incredibly novel and mind-blowing.

Where To Find It

Photo by Marc Fulgar | Unsplash

fulgarrr on unsplash

You can easily found it online, but it is important to note that it comes in two forms, tablets and berries.

1. Tablets

Simply take a tablet of extracted miracle fruit protein and run it on your tongue until it dissolves. There are some benefits to purchasing the tablet form. 

– It has a very long shelf life.

– It's highly effective.

The con is that it doesn’t have the same aesthetic appeal as the berries. When you take it make sure to break it in your teeth and spread it all across your tongue until it is dissolved.

2. Berries

The African miracle fruit is a small red berry about the size of an olive with a pit in the middle. To flavor trip, you will need to run the juice and pulp of the fruit around your tongue while avoiding the pit.

The reaction of the berries can be less intense than taking the tablet, but it is a cooler experience. The other consideration is that the fruit is usually kept frozen, and even then it has a shelf life of only a few months. 

What to Eat

Photo by Luke Michael | Unsplash

lukemichael on unsplash

Certain foods are known to react more with miracle fruit, but experimenting can be just as exciting. Some fun things that I personally recommend are: 

– Lemons

– Limes

– Sour cream and onion potato chips

– Grapefruit

– Vinegar

– Hot sauce

– Stinky cheeses

– Pickles

– Alcoholic beverages mixed with lemon, lime, or vinegar

The flavor trip will usually last 15 to 20+ minutes after the tablet or a berry come in contact with your tongue. Once it wears off, your tastebuds will go back to normal. For other fun ideas for entertaining friends and creating adventurous experiences, check out The 2 AM Principle: Discover the Science of Adventure.