With summer in full blast, the urge to spend hours on the beach getting boozy and working on that even bronze is as powerful as ever. But the sun can have seriously detrimental effects on your skin that long outlast the pains of being referred to as “Lenny the Lobster” for a week. Instead of running the risk of uncomfortable burns from the sun (and your friends), prep your skin to get the most out of safe amount of exposure while munching on some pigment perfecting veg.

Carrots

Tan

Photo by Julia Murphy

Eating raw carrots regularly (don’t go all Bugs Bunny) can give your skin a healthy glow. These are your best option for eating yourself tan as the carotene they contain helps deepen your tan.

Tomatoes, Sweet Potatoes, and Cantaloupe

Tan

Photo by Julia Murphy

Loading up on these fruits and veggies will give your body the beta-carotene it needs to produce Vitamin A which shields your skin from burn.

Spinach

Tan

Photo by Julia Murphy

Spinach and other leafy greens (because you can never have enough kale) also contain carotenoids that are stored just below the skin, giving it a healthy glow and natural tan look.

Consuming these veggies will help you get your tan on, but only if you stick with it. To see how they really leaf you looking radiant, you need to consume them on a regular basis. So leave the tanning oil alone and go make yourself some kale chips or this salad.

In case you do go the way of the tomato in the sun, check out these food sunburn remedies.