If you're planning to make your way to that downtown bar or to demolish a game of beer pong at a frat, there's one thing that's guaranteed: there will be booze. Whether it's coming from a wine bottle, a keg, or a cooler, there will be lots of it, and without a doubt, you and your friends will want to take advantage of it. 

We've all been there — that seemingly harmless extra shot or additional beer pong game ends up leading to exhaustion and a massive hangover the next morning. As it turns out, there are foods that can help prevent those unwanted drinking symptoms. 

1. Salmon

salmon, meat, fish, sashimi, sushi, seafood, smoked salmon, steak, tuna, barbecue, grilled salmon
Andrea Baysa

Drinking alcohol can quickly deplete your body of its essential B vitamins. Eat some salmon beforehand to replenish your body of vitamin B6 and B12, requisites for a healthy metabolism, liver, and nervous system.

2. Whole grains and starches

vegetable, pasta, sauce, rice
Gabby Phi

The rule of thumb before going out for a night is to a drink on a full stomach. Whole grains and starches — like pasta and potatoes — are great sources of carbohydrates that will keep you full and energized so that you can keep up with the party throughout the night.

3. Chickpeas 

cream, ice, dairy product, milk, sweet
Kendra Valkema

Stock up on some hummus. Not only is it rich in carbs and vitamin B6, but also in protein. Protein is a godsend when you want to stay full for longer. Therefore, you’ll be able to sustain from binge eating in the midst of the drinking munchies. Hummus also contains tahini, which is full of amino acids that can help prevent those nauseating hangover symptoms.

4. Eggs 

egg, egg yolk
Parisa Soraya

Not only are eggs an excellent source of protein, but they're also rich in cysteine. Alcohol is considerably damaging to the liver as it produces acetaldehyde, an enzyme that can cause permanent scarring. Cysteine is an essential amino acid that helps out your liver. 

5. Pickles 

oil
Rebecca Feigin

Drinking excess amounts of alcohol causes the body to become dehydrated, meaning it produces fewer antidiuretic hormones. These hormones maintain the balance of water in your body by reabsorbing water into the bloodstream. Pickles are great for combating dehydration because they are rich in electrolytes, which help to rehydrate the body, ultimately preventing that pounding headache the next morning.  

You’ll be able to enjoy drinking a lot more knowing that you don’t have to suffer those nauseating after effects. Also remember to finish the night off with a huge glass of water, and you’ll be balanced out by daybreak.