Columbia University; not only is it dubbed as an Ivy League school, but it's dubbed as one of the best schools in the entire nation. While it seems like there's an abundance of food places near campus, one of the few things that the area is lacking in would be Mexican food; and that's where Dos Toros Taqueria comes into play.

What do you need to know?

Liz Abere

Well for starters, the new location of Dos Toros Taqueria will be opening on February 12th, 2020. The new taqueria will be located at 2911 Broadway (between 113th and 114th Streets), making it Dos Toros Taqueria’s 22nd location across the board. If you're wondering what Dos Toros Taqueria is, it's a fast-casual Mexican food joint that's opening its 18th location in the city of New York, and as I've mentioned before, its 22nd location across the board. 

The new location of Dos Toros Taqueria will have 8 seats available for dine-in customers, making it the coziest location since the taqueria’s first location 10 years ago. Dos Toros will serve customizable burritos, burrito bowls, salads, tacos, quesadillas and nachos, all created using fresh ingredients and 100 percent naturally raised meats. Additionally, a full catering menu will be available.

What else do you need to know?

Liz Abere

Dos Toros Taqueria was founded by Leo and Oliver Kremer. They opened their first location of Dos Toros Taqueria over 10 years ago by Union Square, in New York. The chain has recently been acquired by Chopt Creative Salad Company. Co-CEO & Co-Founder, Leo Kremer has stated that "We are thrilled to bring Dos Toros Taqueria to the Columbia University area, after receiving multiple requests; we have been passionate about expanding Dos Toros Taqueria across the New York City area since opening the first location in Union Square over 10 years ago and we hope to continue." Talk about true dedication.

The thing with Columbia University is that they own and manage retail space across the Morningside and Manhattanville campuses, and its long-standing retail approach favors businesses like Dos Toros that bring a variety of amenities and experiences to the Columbia campus, the wider local community and visitors. The new Dos Toros location joins Elysian Fields Café,e’s BAR, and Wu and Nussbaum as other Columbia University retail tenants to have opened or signed in the Morningside Heights neighborhood this year.

Did you know that Dos Toros Taqueria also gives back to the community? That's right; the new location is a mere mile away from company partner and Harlem-based charity, Getting Out and Staying Out, a non-profit organization that works to empower young men involved in NYC’s criminal justice system to reshape their futures. Through these efforts, Dos Toros works with the GOSO program to employ formerly incarcerated individuals throughout their restaurants. Additionally, Dos Toros partners with the Food Bank for New York, South Bronx United and other charities throughout the New York area.

Now that you have the down-low on Dos Toros Taqueria's new location near Columbia University, it's time to go check it out for yourself when it opens up in just a few days. Expect there to be a line, though, since everyone will want in on the good stuff.