Around 40 billion Oreo cookies are produced every year, making Oreo the top-selling cookie of the 20th century. But have any of those billions of people ever noticed that they licked off the creamy white filling from the Knights Templar symbol, dipped the cross pattée sign into the glass of milk, or satisfied their hunger with the Nabisco logo? Life is just full of surprises. 

Here's everything you need to know about the logo on your favorite Oreo cookie.

Cross of Lorraine

beer, coffee
Photo courtesy of flickr.com

A circle topped with a two-bar cross is a Nabisco logo that stands for a European symbol of quality. Experts believe the design for the Nabisco symbol arose from the Cross of Lorraine, which was carried by the Knights Templar during the First Crusade in the 11th century. These knights, along with many other Christian pilgrims, went to Jerusalem, the capital of Israel, to recapture it from the Turks. The Knights then mercilessly genocided Muslim and Jewish people upon their arrival to the city. Dark, dark, history.

Cross Pattée

candy, chocolate
Photo courtesy of flickr.com

The geometric pattern of a dot with four triangles radiating outward is a symbol that once again connects Oreos with the history of the First Crusade. It closely resembles a Cross Pattée, a symbol of the Knights Templar adopted by sewing the red or black crosses on their white robes and other pieces of clothing to distinguish themselves from soldiers of other religions.

But while some people do recognize this ancient emblem, most consumers see it as a four-leaf clover, with each leaf emphasizing hope, faith, love, and luck. No wonder why Oreo has so much luck selling its product.

Shape

pizza
Photo courtesy of flickr.com

The circle has many mystical meanings including a circle of life, creation, infinity, power, love, and most importantly, change. So, Oreo is not just a tasty round cookie; it is also a friendly reminder that the power of changing your life is all in your hands.

Why "Oreo?"

beer, coffee
Photo courtesy of flickr.com

The origin of the name remains a mystery. Some believe that the cookie’s name came from the French word “gold” (doré) because that was the color of the original Oreo package. Others claim that the name is a combination of taking “re” from “cream” and placing it between the two “o”s in “chocolate,” making “o-re-o.”

You can ponder how the Oreo got its catchy name for a long time, but it’s much better to grab a whole package of these delicious cookies, take a cup of milk, and enjoy the late-night snack you deserve. Enjoy.