For a Brit, Christmas Day is probably our finest hour when it comes to food. I would know this as a proud Brit myself. Our Christmas dinner isn't too different from our usual Sunday Roasts, except we put in way more effort and add some fancy festive dishes to the table. We usually eat it at 1 pm, so it's more of a brunch if you think about it.

Along with turkey, potatoes, and veggies, we have some very English, very questionable essentials that make up our Christmas dinner. Throw on your Christmas jumpers, put "Love Actually" on the telly, and eat away. 

Pigs in Blankets

chicken, shrimp, bacon
Heather-Jade Stanley

Is this not just the most adorable name for a dish you've ever heard? This treat brings joy to the table at Christmas in the UK. In the US, pigs in blankets are mini hotdogs wrapped in puff pastries, but it's very different in the UK. I've never met a person who didn't like pigs in blankets! Little sausages wrapped in bacon and roasted in the oven—you know you wish you'd thought of it first.

Bread Sauce and Brussels Sprouts

Heather-Jade Stanley

Bread sauce is delicious. That is a fact (not scientifically proven, mind you). Don't let its slightly unappealing appearance fool you, bread sauce is like yummy, hot, garlicky porridge—what's not to like? Nobody really knows what bread sauce is or why we bring it out at Christmas, but it goes with everything and is absolutely killer in a leftover turkey and stuffing sandwich.

Oh Brussels sprouts, you may just be the most hated vegetable in the world. In the UK, they're a bit of a marmite veggie—you love them or you hate them. But whether you like them or not, these little green balls of flavour are put on your plate at Christmas. They're a Christmas tradition and even though we complain about eating them, we'd miss them if they weren't there.

#SpoonTip: When smothered in bread sauce, Brussels sprouts don't taste half bad. 

Yorkshire Puddings

apple
Heather-Jade Stanley

These bad boys are the best part of Christmas. Even better than presents (maybe). Please note: they are not pudding. I don't know why we have to complicate things, but it keeps things interesting. They're actually made with pancake batter, except instead of being made in a griddle they're made into little bowls of buttery goodness that are calling out to be filled with gravy. I once had a Christmas dinner with all the trimmings, and the plate was one giant Yorkshire pudding. It was the best day of my life. 

Mince Pies

tea
Heather-Jade Stanley

The US has its pumpkin pie, we have our miniature, odd-sounding equivalent. Mincemeat is made of fruits, festive spices, and booze. It's mulled wine, in a pie! I'm really not sure why something so sweet and delicious has 'meat' in the name, but once you get over the name you feel much better about eating one with custard. Mince pies are best when they're served hot from the oven with a glass of sherry. 

Sherry

liquor, ice, alcohol, wine
Heather-Jade Stanley

Sherry is syrupy, boozy wine that is served in the tiniest glasses you've ever seen, which totally makes it okay to have two or three. Whether it's in a glass or in a trifle, Sherry is quintessentially English and pairs perfectly with mince pies. Although it's usually enjoyed by the over 65's, if Christmas isn't the time to sit back and embrace your inner pensioner, then I don't know what is. 

Chocolate

milk, sweet, candy, chocolate
Heather-Jade Stanley

At Christmas, each family in the UK slowly works their way through a giant tin of chocolates, and each family has their preference. The three main contenders are Quality Street, Roses, and Heroes (Roses is the best, I think). Those of you who have something else are doing Christmas wrong. There's a rush to eat the favourites while the tin is fresh, especially if you have siblings. Inevitably, the gross ones are left for two months until your mum finally gives in and chucks them.

There you have it. A classic British Christmas meal. The only thing missing is presents...and family. But mostly presents.