Unlike funny and relatable binge-worthy shows on Netflix like New Girl or Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt, Mad Men is on the more serious and dramatic side which makes it addicting in its own way.

AMC’s Mad Men recounts the drama, romance, and scandal of life in an advertising agency set in New York City in the 1960’s. The binge-worthy series reflects American society at the time and reminds us that we may romanticize the past now, but there were huge cultural and social adjustments regarding aspects such as women in the workforce, health awareness, and racial equality.

In this age of cultural and social progress, it may be hard to understand the personalities of such a distant era. To make it easier, here are the Mad Men characters according to Spoon.

Don Draper: Oysters

Mad Men

Photo courtesy of observer.com

You hate that you love them. Slimy yet high-end, both Don Draper and oysters have aspects about them that make you disgusted, but you’re always coming back for more.

Similar to oysters, Don Draper is very dependent on the situation. Sometimes, he’s the most charming and lovable guy, but let him stray for too long and he is unreliable and, quite frankly, gross.

Mad Men

Photo by Delissa Handoko

Betty Draper: Lemon Bars

Mad Men

Photo courtesy of the-broad-side.com

In an era of infamous sexism, Betty Draper fills the role of the stereotypical woman. In the world of food, Betty would no doubt be a lemon bar sitting in the middle of the dessert table. Sure, they look beautiful, but there are so many more exciting options that you’d rather have.

Betty carries this pretentious air with her and looks down upon anyone that she doesn’t approve of, even her daughter Sally, which makes it hard to fully like her.

Mad Men

Photo by Mark Zhang

Peggy Olson: Avocado

Mad Men

In this man’s world, Peggy is the delicious avocado. Just like Peggy, the avocado has always been around. So why is it just recently getting popular?

People have finally started to get their priorities straight. The recognition of both Peggy and avocados has increased because people have finally understood that women have brilliant ideas just like avocados are so good for you. Frankly, Peggy is just a badass who we can’t help but love.

Mad Men

Photo by Samantha Thayer

Roger Sterling: Beef Wellington

Mad Men

Photo courtesy of theatlantic.com

What would suit Roger Sterling better than his go-to meal? Classy, elegant, and indulgent, beef wellington is a high-end steak baked in puff pastry. Roger was notorious for sneaking away to a hotel, meeting with women and, of course, ordering beef wellington.

At the time, this was the king of meats. The dish was supposedly named after the Duke of Wellington after he crushed Napoleon at Waterloo. With Roger’s high status in the business and his suave ways, there is no better meal that describes him.

Mad Men

Photo by Nancy Chen

Joan Holloway: Shrimp Cocktail

Mad Men

Not only is it presented well, but it tastes just as good as it looks. Joan is very put together and always has some type of authority, even when she is just a secretary. Although shrimp cocktail may just be an appetizer, it is definitely on the classier side of finger foods.

Unfortunately, Joan is a victim of objectification in the office; however, that doesn’t stop her from getting what she wants. Many men may see her as just an object but she goes far to prove her intelligence and worthiness.

Mad Men

Photo by Natsuko Mazany

Pete Campbell: Onion Dip & Chips

Mad Men

Photo courtesy of esquire.com

From beginning to end, you never know how to truly feel about Pete. In the moment of eating onion dip, it might taste good, but you’re always left with a bad taste in your mouth — just like watching Pete Campbell. He is determined, stubborn, and unhappy, which leaves him wrecking havoc on some parts of his life.

Pete’s impulsive decisions and bad temper make him quite unlikable. While we understand that onion dip plays an important role in the chips and dip category, we can’t help but appreciate salsa and guac more.

Mad Men

Photo by Hannah Kim