Some say that breakfast is the most important meal of the day, and I have to agree. No matter how busy I am, breakfast is a priority. Oftentimes that means stopping for a fast food breakfast, especially when I'm traveling. But with so many options and varying hours, it's hard to know where and when to  get the best breakfast fare for your budget and taste preferences. That's where I come in. Here are the best fast food breakfast options in my humble opinion, plus a few suggestions on what to order. 

1. McDonald's

Availability: The company made national headlines in 2015 when it decided to serve breakfast items all day, everyday. But sadly, this glorious era ended in 2020 with the pandemic, and McDonald's all day breakfast was relegated to "the before times." But you can still get your Mickey D's breakfast fix until 11 a.m.

Best Item: Honestly, you can't go wrong with a Bacon, Egg & Cheese Biscuit or some Hotcakes. In my opinion, however, any type of McMuffin tops the menu. 

Why: It's a classic for a reason. The McMuffin is best egg sandwich I've tasted on the go, and it comes in so many varieties. Bonus: It doesn't break the bank. 

2. Jack in the Box

Availability: Jack in the Box whips up tasty breakfast all day long. That way you can get your late-night breakfast fix, and then recover with a nice breakfast sammy the next morning. 

Best Item: The Jumbo Breakfast Platter is Jack in the Box's best breakfast item, in my opinion. 

Why: This meal lives up to its "jumbo" name. If you're craving a wide variety of breakfast items, order the giant platter. It has everything. The order includes scrambled eggs, hash browns, eight mini pancakes, and your choice of sausage or three slices of bacon. Talk about a breakfast of champions

3. Burger King

Availability: This popular fast food chain stops serving breakfast at 10:30 am., so you might need to set your alarm. But it's worth it, I promise. 

Best Item: The breakfast menu at Burger King features a wide array of delicious items, from the "Croissan'wich" to the "Egg-Normous burrito," but the French Toast Sticks top my list. 

Why: I mean, French toast sticks on-the-go? No question there.

4. Subway

Availability: This may come as a surprise to many, but Subway does serve breakfast. The popular sub shop serves breakfast until 11 a.m. Give it a try one of these days, it may surprise you. 

Best Item: The breakfast menu at Subway's is short and sweet with only four items. My favorite of the four is the Bacon, Egg, and Cheese

Why: It's crispy bacon, egg, and melted cheese on freshly toasted flatbread or whatever you like (but I'd go for the flatbread, really). Add tomatoes, too, and you're really set. Did I mention cheese?

5. Taco Bell

Availability: Taco Bell stops serving breakfast at 11 a.m.

Best Item: The Breakfast Crunchwrap, which layers eggs, meat, cheese, and a full hash brown, is as delicious as it sounds. And better yet, Taco Bell is giving out free Breakfast Crunchwraps to rewards members on Tuesdays through the month of June, no purchase necessary. 

Why: The Crunchwrap is fast-food innovation at it's finest. This hexagonal, handheld creation is the ideal meal on the go. And everything tastes better in breakfast form, duh. 

6. Wendy's

Availability: Wendy's serves it's delicious breakfast menu until 10:30 a.m. every morning. 

Best Item: Wendy's whips up a Honey Butter Chicken Biscuit that'll make your morning that much better. 

Why: Brace yourselves (and your stomach). This simply perfect sandwich consists of crispy chicken topped with maple honey butter on a warm, flaky biscuit. What more do you need?

7. Carl's Jr.

Availability: Carl's Jr. serves breakfast until 10:30 a.m. daily.

Best Item: Try the Breakfast Burger for a unique and filling start to your day. 

Why: This majestic creation features a charbroiled all-beef patty, crispy bacon, egg, American cheese, hash browns, and Ketchup on a seeded bun. So basically, every breakfast food, combined in burger form. 

8. Chick-fil-A

Availability: Chick-fil-A serves breakfast until 10:30 a.m., Monday-Saturday.

Best Item: You can't go wrong with a classic Chicken Biscuit. Top it with honey or jam for a sweet-and-savory start to your day.  

Why: Chick-fil-A's version of this classic Southern breakfast is simple and satisfying, perfect for a Saturday (but not Sunday) morning treat.

9. Dunkin' 

Availability: All day, every day.

Best Item: Dunkin's classic wake-up wrap is one of their longest standing savory menu items, and for good reason. 

Why: This cheesy, eggy, little tortilla is the perfect savory snack to go with your sweet iced coffee (and your favorite donut). 

I don't know about you, but I absolutely must eat breakfast, even when I'm on the go. These delicious, budget-friendly fast-food breakfasts are the perfect way to start your day on the right foot this summer travel season.