In case you missed it, Amy Schumer is rumored to be starring in Sony Pictures' and Mattel’s live-action Barbie film. As a pretty big fan of Schumer, I was, of course, pretty stoked when I first heard the news. I initially applauded Mattel’s move as a giant step forward for society, especially given Barbie’s somewhat controversial history of propagating unrealistic portrayals of women.

Amy Schumer is undoubtedly one of the brightest and boldest Hollywood stars. When she's not championing women's rights, redefining modern feminism, and championing positive body image, she's catapulting herself into higher levels of career success. Just this year, she was nominated for a Golden Globe, premiered season four of her wildly successful show “Inside Amy Schumer” and launched a grueling World Tour. Damn.

From a marketing standpoint, it makes sense why Mattel wants Amy. Not only can they capitalize on her recent success, but they can also do so in a way that makes them seem accepting and forward-thinking.

The more I reflected, though, the more I realized that Schumer’s casting only reveals the worrisome trend of brands, like Mattel, of hiding behind the veil of being progressive and politically correct in order to make money.

Mattel's casting of Amy Schumer wouldn’t be the first time Mattel attempted to save face, though. It's suspicious to me that earlier this year, Mattel rolled out “curvier” Barbies after their third year of decreasing sales in 2015.

They also introduced DC Super Hero Girls, a line of toys featuring DC Comics’ female super heroes reimagined as high school students. Sounds cute, right? This move surreptitiously came after Mattel lost selling rights of Disney Princess toys in 2016 (an estimated loss of over $300 million).

Truthfully, with perfect hair, flawless skin, slim waists, and developed breasts, these “action figures” seem to just be repurposed Barbies hiding behind the guise of superheroes.

As someone who still has mad love for Amy Schumer and also once played with Barbies, I’m just as much to blame as the next person for feeding into the hype and playing right into Mattel’s hands. Instead of automatically applauding Mattel’s move as a sign of things to come, however, let’s all take this opportunity to question consumer culture and ultimately push for real, impactful change.