It doesn’t matter if you’re a die hard cheese fan or a cheese newbie – after taking your first bite, you know that cheese is #king. So check out this easy breakdown of all of the greatest cheeses on earth. Even if you already know this info, feed the cheese beast inside you.

Hard Cheese

cheese

Photo courtesy of blog.didriks.com

Hard cheeses have a lower moisture content than soft cheeses and are packed into moulds that undergo tons of pressure, and are are usually aged longer than soft cheese. These are some of the most common ones.

Asiago

cheese

Photo courtesy of chcheeseshop.com

Asiago cheese is a milky, yet sharp cheese. Its smooth and sometimes crumbly texture makes it the perfect addition to bagels – how can you say no melted cheese on a bagel? You just can’t. Check out how to make an asiago cheese bagel here.

Parmigiano-Reggiano

cheese

Photo courtesy of eatandrelish.com

Commonly known as Parmesan in the English speaking world, this dense, granular cheese produces a strong fruity, nutty flavor. #helloheaven It’s great grated on pasta dishes, such as this white wine sauce pasta dish.

Pecorino Romano

cheese

Photo courtesy of commons.wikimedia.org

Pecorino Romano is a sharper, slightly saltier version of Parmesan. Because of the hard,yet flakey texture of the cheese, it’s perfect for grating. And the sharp, salty flavor of Pecorino Romano makes it great on top of pasta dishes – like this one pan tomato pasta dish.

Cheddar

cheese

Photo courtesy of brennansmarket.com

Originally manufactured exclusively in England, cheddar cheese is the most widely purchased and eaten cheese in the world. It has a creamy, sharp flavor. But the sharpness of it depends on aging time –  the longer aging period, the sharper the cheddar. It’s the perfect cheese for grilled cheese sandwiches, like this epic one.

Swiss

cheese

Photo courtesy of deliciousfoodandwine.com

Swiss cheese is a beautiful balance between nutty and sweet. The larger the holes in a wedge of Swiss cheese, the more pronounced the flavor. Fun fact: the holes are sometimes called “eyes,” so when the cheese has little or no “eyes,” it’s called “blind.” Swiss cheese is great on burgers, especially this Sriracha burger.

Semi-Hard Cheese

cheese

Photo courtesy ofparkfarm.co.uk

Semi-hard cheeses are very similar to hard cheeses, except they aren’t as hard (duh). Check out some of the tastiest semi-hard cheeses.

Provolone

cheese

Photo courtesy of goldenagecheese.com

Despite the firm and somewhat grainy texture of Provolone, it is still a deliciously smooth cheese. And its buttery, tangy flavor makes it the perfect addition to any sandwich. It became very well known in the United States thanks to its appearance on the Philly cheesesteaks. If you’re wanting some more Provolone, check out these bizarre Philly cheesesteak creations.

Gouda

cheese

Photo courtesy of goldenagecheese.com

This sweet yet nutty cheese offers a rich, unique flavor. There are a lot of different Gouda varieties, including smoked and goat’s milk. Fun fact: Gouda is pronounced “how-da” by its Dutch cheesemakers. Gouda, in particular smoked gouda, tastes great with apple chutney on crackers. Genius.

Semi-Soft Cheese

cheese

Photo courtesy of getstuffed.co.za

Semi-soft cheese has a higher moisture content compared to harder cheese, and it also tends to have a milder taste. Check out some of the best semi-soft cheeses below.

Mozzarella

cheese

Photo courtesy of walksofitaly.com

Though originally made from the milk of water buffalo, today’s mozzarella cheese is made from cow’s milk. And unlike many, many cheeses, mozzarella is not aged. The fresh, milky flavor makes it the perfect pizza cheese. Not a pizza fan? try this awesome grilled Caprese sandwich instead.

Manchego

cheese

Photo courtesy of cheesetraders.com

This cheese is often recognized by the traditional herringbone basket weave pattern that’s pressed on the rind. Depending on aging time, Manchego cheese can take on a variety of flavors, from fruity and tangy to caramel and nutty. Eat Manchego cheese with thinly sliced prosciutto, dates or apples to bring out its awesome flavor.

Havarti

cheese

Photo courtesy of cheesetraders.com

Havarti cheese is rich and creamy in flavor, with sharpness depending on aging, like most cheeses. But all Havarti variations are both buttery and sweet. Throw some Havarti into this easy edamame salad.

Muenster

cheese

Photo courtesy of goldenagecheese.com

Muenster is a smooth, moist cheese that varies in intensity, from mild to sharp. And because of its incredible melting properties, Muenster is perfect in mac ‘n cheese, burgers and grilled cheese sandwiches – like this one.

Soft Cheese

cheese

Photo courtesy of cheese.com

Soft cheese is basically the opposite of hard cheese – mild and not-so-firm. And it’s perfect to spread on crackers. Booo-yah. Check ’em out.

Brie

cheese

Photo courtesy of goldenagecheese.com

This French cheese is one of the most known out there, and it has well deserved its nickname, The Queen of Cheeses. The fruity, nutty cheese is a great dessert cheese that is best enjoyed smelly – I say, the stinkier the better. Try this delicious dark chocolate, raspberry and brie grilled cheese to get your fix.

Feta

cheese

Photo courtesy drosengarten.com

Though feta is usually made from a combination of goat’s milk and sheep’s milk, many stores today sell both goat’s milk feta and sheep’s milk feta. Depending on the region where it’s made, the flavor, texture, and aroma varies – from soft, creamy and nearly hole-less, to intense, robust, and sometimes dry. Try this garlic feta braised chicken for dinner tonight – you can thank us later.

Fresh Cheese

cheese

Photo courtesy of mondodinner.com

Fresh cheeses can spoil in a few days without the proper preservatives. These cheese are extra soft, easily spreadable and quite mild.

Ricotta

cheese

Photo courtesy of en.wikipedia.org

Ricotta is a fresh Italian cheese that is made from the whey leftover from sheep, cow, goat or buffalo milk during the production of cheese. The sweet, fluffy cheese has a light consistency. Ricotta is the perrrrrfect addition to toast – find out how to upgrade your ricotta toast here.

Cream Cheese

cheese

Photo courtesy of bbc.co.uk

Cream cheese is a soft, mild-tasting cheese with high fat content. Because it is not naturally matured, cream cheese is supposed to be enjoyed fresh, which sets it apart from other soft cheeses. And guess what – you can make many different flavors of cream cheese, from basil to berry.