Imagine it’s 10 o’clock on a Wednesday night and you’ve just settled down to Netflix and chill with yourself (as per usual). All of a sudden, your friends decide that they want to go out. Being the fun-loving college student that you are, you agree and invite everyone to your place. You start to panic, realizing you haven’t been to the store in a while and you can’t make your usual fancy cocktail concoctions.

Have no fear, I am here to help. The following list consists of items you probably have lying around and can use when you don’t have time to run to the corner store. Whatever the case, branch out from your usual rum and coke and throw back some pickle juice.

1. Applesauce

chasers

Photo by Kendra Valkema

One of my friends swears by mixing vodka with applesauce. I don’t see what could go wrong with it as long as you have the right ratio of vodka to applesauce. Don’t have any store bought applesauce? Try making your own—you only need two ingredients.

2. Potato Chips

chasers

What better way to reward yourself for surviving a shot than eating some chips? I can’t think of anything. I recommend a plain or sweet flavor because anything remotely spicy will enhance the pain of the shot. Keep calm and eat on, friends.

3. Tomato Juice

chasers

Photo by Bonnie Tynes

Tomato Juice has a sweet and neutral flavor that will take away the harsh flavor of whichever alcohol you’re sipping. Whether you mixi it with vodka to make a Bloody Mary or chase your shot of tequila with it, tomato juice is a solid choice.

4. Pickle Juice

chasers

Photo by Hannah Peterson

Hear me out on this one. Pickle juice is not only helpful to reduce the sting of alcohol burn, but it can also help with your hangover the next day. You might as well preemptively strike your hangover and start with the pickle-back shots early.

5. Nutella

chasers

Nutella would taste good on a shoe, so no doubt that it’s a good mixer/chaser for your beverage. The chocolate flavor and silky texture coat your mouth and help you forget that you ever had alcohol in there.

6. Pedialyte

chasers

Photo by Catherine Lo

Yes, Pedialyte is technically for babies, but you should feel no shame in using it as a mixer or a chaser. If you have never had it before, it comes in different sweet, fruity flavors and it is delicious. Like pickle juice, it can also help with your hangover the next day, so put the leftovers to good use.

7. Honey

chasers

GIF courtesy of Spoon University

Honey is another ingredient that performs well as a chaser because it completely coats the inside of your mouth and tastes amazing. It’s perfect if you are looking to sweeten your drink or want a sweet finish to a shot. It pairs especially well with honey whiskey, for obvious reasons. If you need sweet inspiration, try making honey jalapeño margaritas.

8. Fruit (move over, limes)

chasers

Photo by Emily Genzer

Why do we limit ourselves to limes when it comes to chasers? Other citrus fruits like grapefruits and oranges do the job just as well. Biting into a fresh piece of fruit after a lil’ indulgence is the perfect way to calm the fire in your mouth. You can also squeeze the juice out of the fruit afterwards to make a drink if you are tired of taking shots.

9. Beer

chasers

Photo by Sharon Cho

Chasing liquor with beer is a pretty aggressive move, but you’re only in college once right? If you are not a big shot taker, there are plenty of ways to mix beer and liquor that are not disgusting. For example, you can make a summer-y concoction with lemonade, vodka, and beer. It is delicious, refreshing, and a great addition to any summer day.