I’m more of a car traveler kind of gal than I am a plane person. I don’t like going through airport security, maneuvering my way around the airport, or generally just stressing about getting to my flight on time. The whole process of flying and the flight itself is definitely an anxiety-inducing situation.

The whole airport is just full of nervous and stressed out people, so it’s not my favorite place to be. Whenever I do have to fly, I find comfort in food (obviously). Most airports have plenty of options when it comes to food, but if you’re an anxious flyer, it’s better to keep it simple.

1. Turkey Sandwich

Airport

Photo by Tarika Narain

People associate the tryptophan that’s in turkey with their post-Thanksgiving dinner nap, but let me drop some new knowledge on you. Tryptophan is a precursor to the neurotransmitter serotonin, which helps you feel calm. So stop by the sandwich place in the airport and you’ll be in a happy Thanksgiving-like food coma in no time.

2. Popcorn or Pretzels

Airport

Photo by Jina Kim

Crunchy foods are known to reduce stress, because you get to take out all that nervous energy on the food instead of holding it in. The saltiness will satisfy your snack cravings, while being mild enough to keep your stomach from growling on the flight.

If you’re a strong independent snacker who don’t need no convenience store, try making your own popcorn and pretzels.

3. Chamomile Tea

Airport

Photo by Ana Cvetkovic

Chamomile tea is known to have natural calming effects. So next time you’re in the airport, stop by the token Starbucks and get yourself some relaxation juice. Just think of how relaxing and classy it sounds to be sitting in the airport, sipping on tea as the planes fly by.

4. Blueberries

Airport

Photo by Rachel Piorko

Blueberries are known for being high in antioxidants, some of which are helpful for relieving stress. Blueberries are also high in vitamin C, which our body needs when we’re stressed to repair and protect cells. If you can’t find fresh blueberries, try having some blueberry yogurt if you’re confident your tummy can tolerate it.

5. Whole Grains

Airport

Photo courtesy of nutripromag.com

Whole grain products are rich in magnesium, which is important because magnesium deficiencies can lead to anxiety. Whole grain products are also easy on the stomach, so you won’t have a nervous stomach to match your nervous energy.

6. Almonds

Airport

Photo by Julia Fuller

Almonds are not only crunchy (which we discussed earlier), but they also contain zinc. Zinc helps you have a balanced mood, so it’s helpful in a stressful situation. They’re perfect to snack on at the airport because they fill you up and don’t make a mess.

7. Dark Chocolate

Airport

Photo by Amanda Shulman

Dark chocolate reduces cortisol, which is the hormone that causes stress. So sit back, relax, and down some dark chocolate before your flight. Another excuse to munch on your favorite dessert – you’re welcome.

8. Orange Juice

Airport

Photo by Jocelyn Hsu

Orange juice has been getting a bad rap lately, but it’s high in vitamin C, which lowers your blood pressure and reduces the stress hormone cortisol. If you’re getting antsy before your flight, stop by the airport convenience store and sip on some orange juice to put yourself at ease.

9. Avocado

Airport

Photo by Becky Hughes

Avocados are all the rage right now, and for good reason. They’re high in vitamin B, which relieves stress. I see avocado increasingly sneaking its way into more dishes, so you should have no problem finding some at the airport. I know I’ll definitely be using this new knowledge as an excuse to chow down on some guac at the airport.