During the hot days of summer, the last thing you want to do is turn on the oven. Salads are great, but some aren’t very filling. These recipes all feature healthy grains and are all vegetarian (most are vegan too!). Great for at home or on the go, keep cool this summer and enjoy these delicious salads.

1. Pearl Barley, Pomegranate and Pistachio Salad

salads

Photo by Becca Weinzimer

This salad is delicious and incredibly refreshing. It is a little labor-intensive to crack the pistachios and prepare the pomegranate but so worth the effort. The chewiness of the barley goes great with the crunchiness of the pistachio and pomegranate. This salad has a complex flavor and is perfect for a summer afternoon.

2. Tabouli Salad

salads

Photo by Becca Weinzimer

This tabouli salad is easy and tasty. It doesn’t require much preparation, except for pre-soaking the bulgur wheat. You can easily add different vegetables if you don’t have the ones listed in the recipe.

3. Chickpea, Sweet Potato and Apple Farro Salad

salads

Photo by Katherine Baker

This salad is a little heartier than the previous two. It is super healthy and easy to make. Farro is a wonderful grain.

4. Quinoa Salad with Roasted Beets and Pear

salads

Photo courtesy of Food52

This salad is just beautiful. It is delicious and vibrant, and I can’t get enough. Just be careful about eating too many beets.

5. Chickpea and Quinoa Salad

salads

Photo by Caitlin Wolper

This salad features a variety of different textures between the quinoa, chickpeas, and avocado. The majority of the preparation is cooking the quinoa, but that can be done in advance.

6. Israeli Couscous Salad

salads

Photo by Claire Couron

I love Israeli couscous – it has such a fun consistency. Chef Claire Couron recommends this salad on its own, as a filling for wraps and burritos, or a fun chip dip.

7. Persian-Inspired Citrus and Mint Barley Salad

salads

Photo by Ellen Gibbs

This salad is so complex and delicious, with really vibrant flavors. Ellen Gibbs, the chef of this wonderful recipe, describes adwiya as a “combination of spices and rose petals commonly used in Persian cuisine.” This recipe is a must-try for spice lovers.

8. Wild Rice Salad With Celery and Walnuts

salads

Photo courtesy of Andrew Scrivani on New York Times

While this recipe requires a longer time commitment than the others, it is worth it. Wild rice has a totally different flavor and texture than your classic white and brown rice. This salad has a nutty flavor and a great crunch.