GIG courtesy of giphy.com

Traveling with a gluten allergy can be tough, especially when it comes to theme parks. Luckily, the number of gluten free options are expanding, but that doesn’t mean they are all delish. From one gluten intolerant to another, here are my top eight that I found while visiting Universal Orlando.

1. Chicken Sandwich from Burger Digs

gluten free foods in universal orlando

Photo by Marisa Stout

Located by Jurassic Park, The Burger Digs serves up a mean sandwich — not made with T-rex meat, but with that of their closest living relative, the chicken. The chicken sandwich comes with just a bun and breast, but there is a topping bar for you to use at your leisure, making it perfect for the picky eater.

2. Butterbeer from the Wizarding World of Harry Potter

gluten free foods in universal orlando

Photo by Marisa Stout

There is no better way to cool off on a hot, summer day in Florida than with a cup of frozen Butterbeer. This can be found in their themed restaurants and outside beverage carts at Diagon Alley or Hogsmead. Disclaimer: this drink is for those with a major sweet tooth.

3. Bubba Gump’s Texas Cajun Chicken Sandwich

gluten free foods in universal orlando

Photo by Marisa Stout

The spices on this chicken makes it especially flavorful and stand out from the rest, piled with bacon, Pepper Jack, guac and a signature Chili Ancho Mayo. You can only find it at Bubba Gump Shrimp Co., located at the front entrance of City Walk.

#SpoonTip: Brush up on your Forrest Gump facts. The server likes to dish out trivia throughout your meal.

4. Diagon Alley Soft Serve

gluten free foods in universal orlando

Photo by Marisa Stout

Everything in Diagon Alley is unusual, and the ice cream is no exception. At Florean Fortescue’s Ice Cream Parlour, you can try unique flavors like Earl Grey and Lavender, Chocolate Chili, and of course, Butterbeer. Don’t worry, if none of these sound appealing to you, they still serve traditional chocolate or vanilla.

5. Chicken Tacos

gluten free foods in universal orlando

Photo by Marisa Stout

Taco Bell has nothing on these tacos, made with gluten-free corn tortillas. The chicken has the perf blend of Mexican spices and the salsa, which should honestly be sold by the bottle, is an essential condiment. These tasty tacos can be found at Bumblebee Man’s Taco Truck in Springfield USA, across from the wild Simpson’s ride.

6. Refreshing Coke Icee 

gluten free foods in universal orlando

Photo by Marisa Stout

If Butterbeer is too sweet for your taste buds, and you still want a frozen drink to cool off, try a delightful Coke Icee. It’s light, refreshing and easy to walk around with. Almost every outdoor beverage cart has its own Icee machine, so you should have no trouble finding this sweet treat.

7. Cheeseburger in Paradise 

gluten free foods in universal orlando

Photo by Marisa Stout

This hearty combo is appropriately found at Jimmy Buffet’s Margaritaville restaurant. Based on the song “Cheeseburger in Paradise,” the meal includes a cheeseburger topped with lettuce, tomato, pickles, and savory paradise island sauce, served with side of fresh fries. Believe me when I say that there is nothing better than relaxing from the theme park chaos with a cheeseburger and some Jimmy Buffet tunes.

#SpoonTip: Are cheeseburgers not your thing? No worries, Margaritaville has a volcano sized GF menu.

8. Margaritaville’s Brownie Sundae

gluten free foods in universal orlando

Photo by Hui Lin

As most of us know, a good gluten-free brownie is a rare find. The brownie sundae at Margaritaville didn’t even taste gluten free. It was rich and warm, paired nicely with a scoop of ice cream. The sundae is pretty big, so you can split it between two or three people, or maybe save it Come Monday.

No matter what kind of food you’re in to, it’s easy for my fellow gluten-free tourists to find delicious food at Universal Orlando. Before you order though, you should always ask an attendant if they have a specialized gluten free menu, because sometimes they have more options than what’s listed on the standard menu. Put your anxiety aside, and feel free to enjoy the food as much as you enjoy thrill rides and Hogwarts.