Whether they just got dumped, aced their midterm, or you want to apologize for coming in at 3 am last night, every roommate could use a little extra lovin’. No matter the occasion, it’s no secret that food is the path to the heart (especially for young adults ages 18-24). Here’s a list of treats that will earn you a nomination for Roomie of the Year.

1. Fries

roommate

Photo by Trissa Gurney

Whether their loyalty lies with McDonald’s, In-N-Out, Wingstop, 5 Guys, or Jack in the Box, nothing says “I appreciate you” like crispy-salty-fried potato. Plus, their packaging makes sneaking a few on the drive to the dorms accessible. Hey, you earned it.

2. Juice

roommate

Photo by Rachel Livengood

The gift you can feel good about giving. If you notice your roomie starting to sniffle, or if they have been cramming their brain with study guides, put a little pep in their step with some cute and trendy nutrients.

3. Krispy Kreme

roommate

Photo by Megan Prendergast

As soon as that “Hot Now” sign illuminates, they’re ready and prepared to make someone’s day. Krispy Kreme offers dozens of college-budget-friendly deals, coupons, and specials, and we’re certain a dozen of these bad boys will yield an easy smile on your roomie’s face.

4. Pizza

roommate

Photo by Marissa Arnett

The mascot of college cuisine, hot and greasy pizza is a universal winner. At the end of the day, when the dining hall just seems too far, nothing brings a sigh of relief like a box full of cheesy yum. Treat your roommate to a hot meal to be enjoyed on the dorm floor.

5. Hot drinks

roommate

Photo by Gabby Phi

I don’t need to stress the impact caffeine can make in a student’s day. Whether your roomie’s taste ranges from Starbucks to cold brew or frappes to green tea, there’s something about holding a warm beverage that makes you feel equally cozy inside.

6. Chocolate

roommate

Photo by Rachel Ferreira

When in doubt, cocoa it out. These little bars (or balls) of indulgence will mend the cracks in anyone’s heart, regardless of the grade, severity of a breakup, or negative hours of sleep. Tape a little note on your roomie’s fave flav, and wait for the appreciation train to roll in.

7. Mac ‘n Cheese

roommate

Photo by Kirby Barth

No, we’re not asking you to fork over your last box of Easy Mac. This is your roommate we’re talking about, the one who has endured spring semester thus far, and it’s universal knowledge that mac ‘n cheese fills the voids in every heart and soul. Whether it’s beloved Panera in a bread bowl (carbs are magical) or you feel compelled to whip up some homemade noms, cheesy pasta will make anyone’s day.