Sure, you could go to Walmart, Whole Foods or Trader Joe’s at any time of day to satisfy your grocery list, but nothing beats waking up with the sunrise and heading over to the local farmers’ market.

Not only is the produce fresher than what could be found on a store’s shelves, the overall experience is more wholesome, enjoyable and all around pleasant. There’s no pushing and shoving, no squeaky shopping cart wheels and no long check-out line.

Of course, every farmers’ market differs from one another and each are unique, but there are a few general rules to follow when it comes to what to buy. In accompaniment with the fruits and veggies (because that’s pretty much a given), these seven things should always find themselves in your basket:

1. Bread

Photo by Jasmine Tang

Nothing beats the taste of freshly baked bread, and the farmers’ market bread booth appeals to everyone’s tastes, offering everything from sourdough, rye, walnut-cranberry, wheat and cinnamon.

And seriously, the sound of the crunch when slicing a loaf of Italian bread is one of the most satisfying sounds out there.

2. Honey

Photo by Victoria Romulo

There’s always one guy (or girl) who prides themselves purely on their delicious honey. In most cases, you wont find just your typical clover, but also numerous variations infused with other flavors.

#SpoonTip: Keep an eye out for honey straws! These tasty guys offer honey concoctions with flavors like chocolate, cinnamon, caramel, lemon and mint.

3. Soap

Photo courtesy of etsy.com

Yes, the farmers market has a place for body care products, too. Usually near the honey, these handmade soaps come in the best scents and are incredibly satisfying to the skin.

4. Baked Goods

Photo by Karina Rao

The bread is good, of course, but even better are the freshly baked cookies, cupcakes and danishes. And the occasional free samples are always a plus.

5. Plants and Succulents

Photo by Jordan Stovka

The array of hanging baskets adds beautiful color to the market and are always in season, but there are also plenty of succulents, air plants and shrubs to pick from. And the vendors are generally extremely knowledgeable when it comes to gardening, so this is the perfect place to try out your green thumb.

6. Herbs

Photo by Corinne Odom

Next to the plants are usually the herbs. If you’re looking to plant your own garden or just to have a few potted plants on the front porch, this is the place to be. Nothing is better than fresh basil for recipes like this.

7. Coffee and Tea

Photo by Ana Cvetkovic

Freshness is what makes it count when it comes to coffee and tea, and there’s no place better than the farmers’ market where everything is homemade. And the best part is they don’t frown upon customers smelling everything displayed on the table.