With spring break here, I’ve been thinking about flying… and the extra money I spend doing it. If you travel often, then you are no stranger to the restaurants in the airport that are always so tempting. I swear, every time I go through the airport I tell myself I am not going to buy anything from that overpriced Dunkin’ Donuts… but 10 minutes later I am usually in line with my coffee and donut order ready to go.

This is so frustrating for me. I mean come on, I’m just a lil ol’ poor college student who is hungry 99.9% of the time. These restaurants know that and take advantage of it, too. Here’s a GIF of me after paying for airport food:

snack

I think I have finally realized that the only way to avoid this is to bring a TON of food with me. Then I know I have no reason to buy anything extra, and I feel like I have a bunch of options to snack on.

Here are the travel snacks that I like to bring so I stay happy and NOT hangry.

Trail Mix

snack

Photo by Tiare Brown

I think that trail mix is always a great snack, but it really is perfect for when you’re on the go. A good blend of fruit, nuts, and maybe even something sweet satisfies that salty and sweet craving that we all get. It will also keep you full for longer because of the protein and fiber (if we’re tryna get technical here). Bonus points if you make your own trail mix with your favorite goodies included.

PB&J

snack

Photo courtesy of @kaitgmiller on Instagram

A classic. This is a perfect sandwich to bring because it doesn’t require refrigeration and it takes roughly less than one minute to make. Done.

Granola Bars

snack

Photo by Alex Tom

These seem to be the simple solution to any snack crisis when I am on the go. They are designed for this, with a little bit of protein and fiber to keep you full and carbs to give you the energy boost you need. Try to aim for ones without a lot of added sugar, if you can.

Apples, Bananas, or Oranges

snack

Photo by Hannah Lin

Okay, yes, these fruits are not the most interesting of varieties. But they are good to just throw in your bag because they are sturdy and easy to eat. Another plus? Since bananas and oranges come in a peel, you won’t have to worry about washing or doing any kind of prep with them the night before your flight.

Sweets

snack

So far, I’ve mostly been giving healthy travel snack options. But we all know that while you are sitting there, waiting to board the plane, there is going to be one of those little convenience stores staring at you from the other side of the airport. And they’re probably going to be advertising candy or chocolates.

Most likely, you’re going to want said candy or chocolates. So next time, own up to it. Be prepared and bring your own to satisfy that sweet tooth.

Gum

snack

Photo by Rachel Weitzman

If you’re like me, then inevitably your ears are going to pop during the flight. If you’re also like me, there is a 9/10 chance that you will forget to bring gum. Since you can’t control the screaming baby hurting your ears during the flight, at least control the popping and bring gum.

Chocolate Covered Espresso Beans

snack

Photo by Grace Goettman

These are a sweet treat that will also give you a little shot of caffeine. Sounds like a win/win situation to me.

Next time you’re in the airport, try out these tips so you can spend that moolah while you are actually on your vacay.