When you think of chocolate, you usually think of dessert. But the truth is, chocolate can be used for much more than that. Incorporating chocolate into these traditionally savory dishes will not only make you look like a professional chef but also gives you more reasons to have chocolate for every meal. Whoever said chocolate can only be used in desserts has never tried these dishes.

chocolate

Just look at this food porn. I don’t know about you, but it’s giving me some serious cravings. Good thing chocolate has health benefits like reducing stress levels, improving productivity, and boosting happiness. Dark chocolate is actually an antioxidant that can lower the risk of heart diseases.

With all the benefits of chocolate, we want you to be able to explore the versatility of this ingredient and add a twist to your everyday cooking. Time to pull out that secret chocolate stash in your drawer with no shame. You tell ‘em, Joey!

chocolate

1. Dark Chocolate Sweet Potato Chips and Fries or Chocolate-Drizzled Popcorn

chocolate

Photo courtesy of minimalistbaker.com

The dark chocolate in this dish adds another element of taste that complements the subtle sweetness of the sweet potato perfectly. Whether you’re feeling chips or fries, Minimalist Baker has created two different ways to incorporate chocolate. The recipes use melted chocolate as a dip or a sauce to create just the right combination of bitter, sweet and salty. For a quick snack you can make in your dorm, drizzle the chocolate on popcorn instead.

#SpoonTip: Adding chopped nuts can add a nice crunch. Toast them beforehand for a more intense flavor.

2. Chocolate Ravioli

chocolate

Photo courtesy of pastaprincessandmore.wordpress.com

This recipe utilizes the basics of making ravioli with the addition of chocolate. Simple! Ok, not really. There are three different components to consider but if you have the time, it’s definitely worth it. The pasta dough is laced with cocoa powder, filled with a rich chocolate pastry cream, and topped with chocolate sauce. 

#SpoonTip: If you want to save some time, Nutella or jam is a good substitute for the sauce. You could also try this super simple recipe for Nutella wontons.

3. Chocolate Ragu Pasta

chocolate

Photo courtesy of eattillyoubleed.com

Need inspiration for a Valentine’s Day meal? Look no further because this is the dish to make. Impress your significant other with a flavorful pork cheek ragu and a bold chocolate pasta. The contrast between the flavors is a pleasant surprise!

#SpoonTip: If you don’t have a pasta maker, cut the dough into strips using this method.

4. Chocolate Risotto

chocolate

Photo courtesy of Jennifer Farley from savorysimple.net

The Valentine’s Day theme continues with this “velvety chocolate risotto with a hint of red wine” brought to you by Savory Simple. It sounds harder to make than it is but just think of this decadent risotto as a chocolate rice pudding dressed up for a special occasion.

#SpoonTip: Serve this in a cocktail or martini glass topped with a single raspberry for a more refined look

5. Chocolate Steak

chocolate

Photo courtesy of foodfaithfitness.com

This one’s for all the meat lovers out there. If you want something heartier, this tender juicy steak will do the trick. It’s as easy as mixing the spices together and rubbing it on the steak. The recipe uses ground coffee and coconut flakes, which create a robust smoky flavor to really tie this dish together.

#SpoonTip: Prepare the steak a day before and leave it in the fridge to marinade overnight. This will enhance the flavors and you can have dinner in 10 minutes the next day!

6.  Chocolate Chili Con Carne

chocolate

Photo courtesy of Jonathan Lovekin for homemadebyyou.co.uk

If you’re looking for a comforting stew to warm your soul during the cold gloomy winter, this recipe is one you should try. It adds dark chocolate squares to a classic chili, making for an intense flavor combination. I was a bit reluctant when a friend recommended this to me, but this is apparently an extremely popular technique used to help bring out the flavors of the chili. So if you didn’t know before, now you have this trick up your sleeve to surprise family and friends at your next dinner party!

#SpoonTip: Pair this with a soft bread like focaccia or sourdough to soak up all the sauce because you will not want any bit of this chili to go to waste! 

7. Chocolate Beef Stew stuffed Potatoes

chocolate

Photo courtesy of runningtothekitchen.com

Not one, not two, but three of the best comfort foods all on one plate? What more can we ask for? This dish is perfect for the cold days when you just want to curl up in your bed with Netflix. We know that red wine and dark chocolate is and always will be good on its own, but combining the two is truly genius. If you love comfort foods you’ll also love this dark chocolate, raspberry and brie grilled cheese sandwich.

#SpoonTip: Substitute brown sugar with maple syrup for that extra sweetness.

Now, go forth and let your inner chocolate desires loose.

chocolate