With the Olympics over, Team Canada have brought home 22 medals at the Rio 2016 Olympics. Sixteen of these medals were won by women. These games will go down in history as the highest representation of Canadian female medalists ever.

From breaking records on the soccer field to cementing themselves in Olympic history in the rugby sevens, these women have become a source of pride and inspiration over the course of the games.

With the Rio 2016 Olympics having come to a close, here’s a look back at these amazing women and their advice for getting to the top of their game. Whether your goal is to make it to the podium or just make it to the gym this week, let their advice inspire you to reach your excellence.

1. Determination matters more than natural talent.

team canada

Photo courtesy of @teamcanada on Instagram

“I was never necessarily the fastest to learn skills, I was never the highest jumper. But I was always really stubborn.” — Rosie MacLennan, trampolinist and two-time Olympic champion.

2. When training gets tough, focus on your end goal.

team canada

“Sometimes it’s pretty tough to love swimming because you are doing lap after lap after lap, but I think when it all comes down to it, what you’re actually getting out of it in the end, it’s really worth it.” — Penny Oleksiak, swimmer, four-time medalist at the 2016 Olympics and most decorated Canadian at a single Summer Olympic Games.

3. Work at something you love.

team canada

Photo courtesy of @cbcolympics on Instagram

“Pick your passion and attack it. Go after it with everything you’ve got — and make sure to always have fun.” — Christine Sinclair, captain of Team Canada’s women’s soccer team and back to back Olympic bronze medalist.

4. Remind yourself that everyone starts somewhere.

team canada

“You slug it out a bit and it’s not always easy, it’s not always the most fun when it’s early mornings and long practices and you can’t go out on a Friday night because you have to swim the next morning… but it’s worth it once you’re here. We’ve all done it and we were (beginners) not that long ago so it’s doable and it’s just so worth it.” — Hilary Caldwell, bronze medalist for 200m backstroke.

5. When you put in the effort, you can take pride in your results.

team canada

“I just had such a good feeling when I woke up this morning. I had done everything I could to prepare. And I woke up this morning and I just knew that no matter what the outcome, I would be so happy with my whole process.” — Erica Weibe, 2016 gold medalist for women’s freestyle 75kg wrestling.

6. Failure is part of the path to greatness.

team canada

“The truth is we struggle and fail more often than we succeed. We want people to know that setbacks are part of the process, and they don’t mean you can’t achieve your goals.” — Brianne Theisen-Eaton, 2016 Women’s Heptathlon bronze medalist.

7. Let your accomplishments inspire others.

team canada

“To have a six-year-old point at the TV and say they want to be like you — that inspires me to keep going… I wish that little girl the best in her dreams, and I hope she achieves them.” — Jen Kish, rugby sevens Captain and bronze medalist.

Thank you, ladies. You’ve made us all very proud.

team canada