When I think of shots, I think one of two things: tequila or needles. But there are also healthy, drinkable shots out there, and the trend has been steadily rising.

The time has come to fill your shot glass with something other then Smirnoff, Bacardi, or peppermint schnapps. Taking shots of these 7 things will not only help your body balance what usually fills your shot glasses, but you’ll win the approval of both your doctor and mother.

1. Apple Cider Vinegar

shots

Photo by Mike Mozart

I can attest to this one. For the past five weeks or so, I have started my day off with an 8 oz of water and two tablespoons of ACV, and I can honestly say I have noticed a difference. ACV has been proven to ease digestion and help regulate blood sugar, and for me it’s done just that. Fewer cravings and fewer tummy aches.

Basically, apple cider vinegar is God’s gift to your gut, and we should all routinely send it down the hatch. Make sure you’re getting the raw and unfiltered kind, though, because it contains the “mother vinegar” that does all the good.

2. Wheatgrass

shots

Photo by Erica Yang

Taking one shot of wheatgrass is equivalent to eating 2 pounds of leafy greens. Wheatgrass juice contains vitamins A, B-complex, C, E, l, and K, is extremely rich in protein, and has a high chlorophyll content (which is an important blood builder).

Long story short, wheatgrass has everything you need. Be warned, though — it really does taste like grass. Get ready to plug and chug, my friends.

3. Ginger

shots

Photo by Kaitlyn Wesolowski

This should be your go-to shot if you’re feeling under the weather. Ginger has powerful anti-inflammatory properties, warms the body (spice sensitive foodies, beware), and has been known to sooth the digestion system. It is also said to help with nausea if you’re feeling any of that. For an extra boost, add some lemon juice.

4. Aloe Vera

shots

Photo by Collette Block

Yes, the stuff you put on your sunburns. Not in gel form, but in juice form. Aloe vera contains a number of digestive enzymes, antioxidants, and can act as natural form of aspirin. This is your perfect post-shot shot.

5. Mangosteen

shots

Photo courtesy of @hikarufujito on Instagram

This exotic food has earned its label as “the queen of tropical fruits.” Its laundry list of benefits includes anti-cancer properties, anti-inflammatory properties, healthy skin, healthy immune system, antioxidants, and digestive aid qualities. This purple fruit juice should be a staple in your shot glass.

6. Açaí

shots

Photo courtesy of @leefromamerica on Instagram

Açaí intake is not just limited to fancy smoothie bowls. A single açaí berry contains ten times the amount of antioxidants as grapes, and twice as much as blueberries. These antioxidants not only promote skin and heart health, but also boost energy and blood circulation. A shot glass full of these berries might be just the what your body needs. Bottoms up.

7. Turmeric

shots

Photo courtesy of Adam Baker on flickr.com

The health benefits of turmeric are practically endless. Uses range from indigestion support to care for bruises. Like ginger, this is a great go-to cold fighter, and like aloe vera, it’s a natural painkiller.

Try making super-flavorful wellness shots, like these ones with lemon and ginger. Unlike tequila, you can’t go wrong washing this down, so fill it to the rim and don’t be shy on round two.