For many college students, spring break is something that takes months of preparation and planning. It’s a great tool for procrastination and good motivation to get through midterms. To help everyone save a little time, here are seven food tips and tricks that may come in handy if you want to have the best spring break ever.

1. Use yogurt to soothe your sunburn

spring break

Photo courtesy of Dr. Comfort

Dr. Whitney Bowe, a New York dermatologist, says that the strains of bacteria found in yogurt, called probiotics, are good for both your gut and your skin. In this Elle Magazine article, she said that these probiotics act as anti-inflammatory agents and contain properties that help with anti-aging, acne, rosacea and eczema.

Will yogurt protect you better than sunscreen? Probably not, but if you’re at the store and don’t feel like spending a ton of money on traditional sunburn remedies, consider the two-fer sale that’s probably going on in the yogurt aisle.

2. Shake it like a salt shaker

spring break

Photo by Leah Nordman

Everyone has a favorite drunk food. Is yours Funyuns or Oreos? Flamin’ Hot Cheetos? Teddy Grahams? (Those are mine, don’t laugh.) If you’re looking for a way to keep your favorite snacks with you while you’re out, consider crunching them up and dumping them in a saltshaker. Move over, Beyoncé, cuz I’ve got a saltshaker in my bag.

You can sprinkle Oreo crumbles in your 2 a.m. froyo or your hangover latte (fo’ free!) or dump Dorito crumbs on top of your salad for extra zest at dinner. Your insides will probably hate you, but you’re going to be throwing up later anyway so who cares.

3. Add some ice to your life

spring break

Photo by Alexa O’Connell

Regardless of whether your going to soak up the sun or ski in the slopes for spring break, it’s important to remember to stay hydrated. To spice up your water bottle (and maybe sneak in some alcohol), try using flavored ice cubes. Mojito and piña colada ice cubes are festive, and Mai Tai ice cubes are super fun. If you don’t want something alcoholic, cucumber-mint or lemon-lime cubes are also great (and they’ll last a long time too).

4. Skip the diet sodas

spring break

Photo courtesy of cincovidas.com

If you’re on spring break and want to actually remember the week, it may be a good idea to skip the diet soda. According to a study done by Cecile Marczinski, a cognitive psychologist at Northern Kentucky University, diet soda mixers actually increase your BrAC (Breath Alcohol Content) by as much as 18%, meaning you get much drunker much quicker.

As explained in an article published by NPR, the sugars present in traditional soda mixers like Coke and ginger ale actually slow down the rate of alcohol absorption in your blood, so the absence of these sugars might take you past the point of no return. Save yourself from sloppiness this year and order a regular rum and Coke instead.

5. Lighten your hair with lemon juice

spring break

Photo by Caroline Liu

If you’re going to the beach this year, one of your main priorities is probably going to be to get a killer tan. Why not take that sun-kissed look to the next level by lightening your hair with lemon juice? Lemon juice is something that is heat activated, and according to an article on Bustle, the sun will open your hair cuticles while lemon juice lifts color.

To keep your hair from drying out, mix some juice with water and conditioner and bring it with you in a spray bottle. If you’re out of lemons or don’t feel like going to get some, check your pantry for baking soda or apple cider vinegar.

6. Keep chamomile tea handy

spring break

Photo by Alex Tom

Everyone knows that tea is good for you, and chamomile tea has a lot of anti-inflammatory agents and antioxidants to fight off free radicals—the toxins, not the hippies in Key West. What you may not know is that it’s also good for relieving after-shave irritation.

In case you face pain from shaving your legs, face, or bikini line, stash some chamomile tea bags in the fridge and apply them to the irritated skin for instant relief. You can also brew the tea, add ice to chill it, and apply it with gauze to large areas.

7. Oil up the right way

spring break

Photo by Angelina Marioni

Regardless of whether you’re going up north or coming down south for spring break, you should be cautious about drying out your skin. Coconut oil is one of the best choices for preventing such a nuisance, as it’s an all-purpose, natural moisturizer for your skin, hair, and even chapped lips. So if the snow dries you out or the sun leaves you feeling crispy, try this cheap remedy for some natural relief.

#SpoonTip: Trader Joe’s sells coconut oil for six bucks.