The egg is a chef’s favorite ingredient, and for good reason. With such versatility and great taste, it’s no wonder that the average American eats 250 of them a year. Chicken eggs are delicious, but why limit yourself to one kind of bird? There are many different kinds of eggs to choose from and, while they may not always be easy to find, they are well worth trying.

1. Duck

Eggs

Photo courtesy of tumblr.com

With #yolkporn at the forefront of food sharing, people today are slowly appreciating the sexiness of the yolk. Duck eggs are great because they have all the taste of chicken eggs with a whole lot more yolk. They are also higher in protein and healthy minerals so feel good about your breakfast as you sop up all of that delicious yellow yolk.

2. Turkey

Eggs

Photo courtesy of tumblr.com

They’re admittedly tricky to find, but turkey eggs are elegant and have a unique and sought after flavor. They have a creamier texture and more assertive egg taste. They’re also about one and a half times bigger than a chicken egg so they go a long way in baking applications.

3. Goose

Goose eggs have bigger yolks like duck eggs but also proportionally larger whites, making them a great egg for meringue, omelets, soufflé and other dishes where some egg whites are needed. The eggshell color is irregular but interesting, including white, blue, brown and even some speckled variety.

4. Quail

Eggs

Photo courtesy of tumblr.com

These little guys are all the rage in high-end dining, adding a dainty touch to any dish. You have to be delicate to crack them, but if you have a deft hand they are a lot of fun. Float them on soup, poach them on salad or fry them up and take some awesome pics for your Instagram.

5. Ostrich

Eggs

Photo courtesy of tumblr.com

Woah, Nellie! Just for reference, the average ostrich egg is equivalent to 24 chicken eggs. This is not the thing to make for yourself on a weekday morning, but if you have a brunch for 10 people, it’s a great way to make an impression. If you can crack it without destroying the shell, there are a bunch of crafting opportunities, especially around easter time.

6. Emu

Eggs

Photo courtesy of tumblr.com

This is definitely the most obscure egg on the list, but also the most beautiful. The emu lays a stunning emerald egg that’s almost to pretty to eat. The second largest bird in the world lays a big egg, but it’s still just half the size of an ostrich egg. Emu eggs are just getting traction in restaurants and grocery stores and egg farmers believe that it’s going to be a big food trend.