It’s hard being a college kid. There’s an insane amount of essays and the inevitability of awkward run-ins with past hookups. Every. Single. Day. But none of this really matters when the weekend rolls around, the frat parties are in full swing and it’s time to fill up those cups.

Gif courtesy of derekmerediths.tumblr.com

But before you can go too crazy, keep in mind those pesky alcohol calories. If you’re trying avoid that freshman 15, and keep a body like Beyonce, there are a couple ground rules.

Mixers, mixers, mixers.

Gif courtesy of emotigifs.tumblr.com

Seriously, have you even looked at the calories on some of those soda bottles? When you’re pre-gaming, switch them out for something more low-calorie, such as a refreshing light cranberry juice.

Be cautious with your beers.

Gif courtesy of meanderinghome.tumblr.com

I know the beer cans claim they’re “light”, but kicking back these bad boys really adds up. Check out a handy comparison of brands here.

Leave the jungle juice in the Amazon.

Gif courtesy of joana-of.tumblr.com

I know it tastes like candy, but unlike the luxury of a candy bar there is no telling what’s in there or how bad for you it really is. Don’t take the chance, skip to the bar where you can see what you’re getting.

Go for a lower calorie brand.

Gif courtesy of 7-passion.tumblr.com

I know a cheap handle of Burnett’s is an easy go-to, but next time you are buying liquor keep some of these in mind, or some of these brands if you’re looking to make a really strong one. (Like I said, college is hard. Totally understandable.)

Girls night? Bring out the wine.

Gif courtesy of rhogif.tumblr.com

It’s made of grapes, how unhealthy could it really be? Ok, it’s a little unhealthy, but it’s been a long week right? Treat yo self. Keep up with your monthly budget with this handy wine night guide.

Gif courtesy of allreactions.tumblr.com

And remember when drinking to always stay safe and make good decisions. Unfortunately, nobody is a fan of a sloppy drunk.